• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan, Jack, and Steve - The 1960's (1964) The Slow Build
5 5

1,175 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

ON NEWSSTANDS JULY 1964

Tales of Suspense #58 - Lee, Heck, Ayers, and Rosen

So, I'm going affectionately call this issue, 'Iron Man is a Dunce' (i.e. an excuse for poor writing)'.

#2: Iron Man gets clobbered with ONE PUNCH, and instead of thinking, that HAS to be the real Cap, he makes an excuse (to further the convoluted plot) that 'he must have found a way to absorb some of Cap's prowess as well as his memory."

Oh sure... those machines are a dime a dozen - that steal your memories AND your physical strength, because...

Using the word PROWESS is wrong here... 'prowess' is a 'skill or expertise in a particular activity or field'. Cap used a back hand to knock a man in a transistor (lol) powered suit of ARMOR off his feet and to his knees. 

This is bad writing. That's physical strength. 

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 2.41.19 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 2.41.26 PM.png

Edited by Prince Namor

ON NEWSSTANDS JULY 1964

I need to rethink this and call this issue, 'Iron Man AND Captain America are Dunces' (i.e. an excuse for poor writing)'.

First, the dwindling power source ploy to prolong the story (My favorite show when I was 6 or 7 was Ultra Man. And as goofy as that was, I LOVED Giant Monsters, but boy, did I hate when that chest light warning started to flash and beep...)

#3: Cap gets attacked by his friend, who thinks he's someone else, then lets him walk away... not at all concerned that he's lost his mind? Or been brain washed? Or is having a bad day? Instead Stan uses it as an excuse to make one of his corny jokes.

The great detective Captain America thinks that by Iron Man walking away, it PROVES it must've been a gag.

Duh. 

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 2.48.58 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 2.53.56 PM.png

ON NEWSSTANDS JULY 1964

How is he charging himself in an alley? Doesn't he need... lol... a light socket to plug into? That IS how he does it, right? :roflmao:

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 2.56.20 PM.png

ON NEWSSTANDS JULY 1964

What??? Why would Tony Stark have a tracer beam in his CAR to track Iron Man when HE is Iron Man? When would he ever have use for that? Another silly creation to further a silly story. 

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 2.58.19 PM.png

ON NEWSSTANDS JULY 1964

Cap sees Iron Man coming again (who has no problem finding HIM), and instead of confronting him about what's going on (he easily beat him 10 minutes ago), he decides to 'lose him' in a 'Construction Power Station', whatever THAT is...

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 3.01.03 PM.png

ON NEWSSTANDS JULY 1964

Cap doesn't seem to know who the Chameleon IS here, though later he'll act like he DOES, but instead of saying, "Why do you keep calling me that/him", he instead, again, rather knuckleheadedly wonders of Iron Man is the real deal! Doh!

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 3.04.06 PM.png

ON NEWSSTANDS JULY 1964

A  'Room with Giant Automatic Cement Mixers!'. Ooookkkk.... and of course that's the same room Happy and Pepper wander into.... 'as luck would have it'. 

This is SO bad...

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 3.08.35 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 3.10.25 PM.png

ON NEWSSTANDS JULY 1964

Especially going to call this issue, 'Iron Man is a Dunce' (i.e. an excuse for poor writing)'.

#4: This Dimwitted Iron Man still doesn't get it. 

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 3.11.29 PM.png

ON NEWSSTANDS JULY 1964

'Iron Man is a Dunce' (i.e. an excuse for poor writing)'... #5: Iron Man's man Armor is the hardest iron alloy known to man, but the 'Chameleon' holds his own against him and he can't figure out that maybe it's actually Cap...

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 3.13.38 PM.png

On the bright side, Dick Ayers inks over Heck's pencils looks pretty good!

Heck wasn't much of a plotter, though, at least judging from this story. 18 pages of random scenes that don't add up to much. And Stan Lee was unable or unwilling to rescue him. The "heroes fight due to a misunderstanding" plotline is a pretty tired comic book trope by 1964!

Pretty soon, the Captain America feature will debut in Tales of Suspense, cutting the Iron Man stories back to a manageable 12 pages. I guess this story was setting the stage for the "split book" era of ToS, much like the Hulk's guest appearance in Tales to Astonish just before his own 10-page feature debuted?

Edited by Dr. Haydn
added "heroes fight" discussion

On 5/4/2024 at 10:21 PM, Mmehdy said:

Keep it going....let see. some more Marvel books posted...thanks

I do wonder if there's nothing more to be said. Still, there are some great Silver Age stories coming up!