• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan, Jack, and Steve - The 1960's (1964) The Slow Build
5 5

1,184 posts in this topic

On 3/24/2024 at 11:53 AM, Hepcat said:

Is there a list anywhere of the comics in which Marvel heroes confront the Reds? I'd be willing to build up a collection of those.

???

There were quite a few Iron Man stories in 1963-64, as I recall (including the origin story) versus the Communists. The Hulk's origin story might count as well. Also, Thor was "Prisoner of the Reds" in an early Journey into Mystery. Even the FF got into the act, with the Red Ghost and his Super Apes. I think Captain America had a story or two set in Vietnam, if you stretch things a bit.

On 3/25/2024 at 4:06 AM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Infantino was a master cover artist.

Carmine Infantino and Gil Kane gave Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko a run with creating new villains in the 1960s. I say they finished a close second to the duo of Kirby and Ditko when it came to creating new villains.

I would second that, especially MIS 

On 3/25/2024 at 5:12 AM, Prince Namor said:

In Ditko's early 2000 essay's he wrote of how Stan asked him to do the Hulk for TTA. He wrote that he came up with Major Talbot, the reason for the change being 'anger', the Leader, etc.

amazing that it takes years and years for the truth to really come out....please keep up this thread and post more.... every book seems to increase our shared belief that it was a one sided team up.

Posted (edited)

ON NEWSSTANDS JULY 1964

Fantastic Four Annual #2 - Kirby, Lee, Stone, Rosen

The ORIGIN of DOCTOR DOOM - Kirby only has two hands, but he gives us two stories for this annual... The lead story is 12 pages, followed by those cool 'Rogues Gallery' pin-ups... It still seems weird to me that someone can read that Ant-Man story and then read THIS and think it's the same writer.

image.thumb.jpeg.b7373e3c1c5623e6828c2b167a528e16.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Prince Namor

On 3/30/2024 at 8:19 PM, Dr. Haydn said:

There were quite a few Iron Man stories in 1963-64, as I recall (including the origin story) versus the Communists. The Hulk's origin story might count as well. Also, Thor was "Prisoner of the Reds" in an early Journey into Mystery. Even the FF got into the act, with the Red Ghost and his Super Apes. I think Captain America had a story or two set in Vietnam, if you stretch things a bit.

In Spider-man #1, the Chameleon was a "commie"

I don't have that issue, but I do have a copy of the Standard Catalog, which pulls data from those circ statements.

stdGuide.thumb.jpeg.b98ad12311b7bf9b4895d86acf6cfdfd.jpeg

If I understand their methodology correctly, they apply the average Total Paid Circulation found in a particular comic to the previous year's issues.  So, I believe the way to interpret this is that the WFC #302 statement indicated the then-most-recent Total Paid Circulation was 88,928, and the editors of the Catalog then applied that number to the entries for WFC #287-298.

wfc_circ.thumb.jpeg.b97e097da762ab7ba2dbe1bca7785661.jpeg

On 4/13/2024 at 6:14 PM, Zonker said:

I don't have that issue, but I do have a copy of the Standard Catalog, which pulls data from those circ statements.

If I understand their methodology correctly, they apply the average Total Paid Circulation found in a particular comic to the previous year's issues.  So, I believe the way to interpret this is that the WFC #302 statement indicated the then-most-recent Total Paid Circulation was 88,928, and the editors of the Catalog then applied that number to the entries for WFC #287-298.

The comics were selling way better back then. There might have been a few variants but not like now we're getting at least 10. 

On 3/25/2024 at 8:28 AM, Prince Namor said:

ON NEWSSTANDS JULY 1964

Strange Tales #125 - Lee, Ayers, Reinman, and Rosen

Can this team do better using just classic FF characters?

The story has some glaring holes (how is Ben breathing underwater??), but the ending surprise as to the why of it all is actually pretty good. Not a bad story here!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ayers had a little thing going on here. Kirby and Ditko no , but he tried and I hope Stan appreciated him.

On 4/14/2024 at 5:14 AM, Zonker said:

Why am I not familiar with that? Thank you so much!