• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Comics Presents 47 - Spray paint along spine?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I picked up this book the other day and am unsure what to call it grade-wise. I knew about this issue in advance and I got it for a pretty good deal.

It almost looks like it was in a stack of books at one time where the spine stuck out just enough to get either a dark "dust shadow" or a spray paint of some type. I'd be curious what the top book looked like or others in the stack. My main concern is that it might be labeled as restoration by CGC... Does anyone have experience with submitting books like this? Insight is much appreciated. Scans are below:

Scan1107.jpg

Scan1108.jpg

On 8/21/2023 at 11:51 AM, marvelmaniac said:

That is too dark to be a dust/sun shadow, even the staples are colored black, it does appear to be some sort of paint.

This is what the book looks like without it.

lf.jpg

I'm with you.  Does CGC automatically call this resto ?  Any thoughts are appreciated 

Defect not restoration. This does not look like an attempt at color touch. Also doesn't appear to be distribution ink. It could be treated like a stain or substance as there's no specific defined defect. I'd expect 5.0 or less, probably less. I would not send this kind of book to CGC

Edited by scburdet

On 8/21/2023 at 11:53 AM, scburdet said:

Defect no restoration. This does not look like an attempt at color touch. Also doesn't appear to be distribution ink. It could be treated like a stain or substance as there's no specific defined defect. I'd expect 5.0 or less, probably less. I would not send this kind of book to CGC

Pretty much just what I was thinking.

5.0 thereabouts.

Thanks for posting.