• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I never understood the appeal of Vampirella.......

23 posts in this topic

I like his work - but he asks more than I want to pay for it.

Too bad too - I'd love to own a cover from The Pulse.

I hear you on that. I inquired about one of Mayhew's best Vampirella covers a while ago and he quoted me a price higher than many Enrich original covers from Vampi's Warren mag from the 1970s. I'm not saying that the piece in question isn't worth that much, but between getting a cover by a hot modern artist on a Vampi run that hardly anyone read versus getting a 20-30 year old painted original from the character's original series by a master artist whose work has withstood the test of time for the same price or less...I'll take the latter every time.

Stephen,

That's not fair ! - you're fighting dirty ! 27_laughing.gif

While that is a iconic cover, the whole female obession that goes on with Wonder Woman, Super Girl, Lady Death, Tomb Raider, Vampi, etc....just escapes me.

I want super heroes in capes and masks with insane muscle size running around trying to capture villians who's only crime is trying to "take over the world.".....not some philly in a leotard ......call me insane.gif but that's my opinion.

btw, Where is that cover art ??

you tell 'em mike! real comic geeks have no need for scantily-clad women! thumbsup2.gif

seriously speaking, though, i've always felt that the whole good girl comic thing is a black mark on the hobby; it feeds into the stereotype just a little too much, and not in a good way.

but, to each their own.

My other Art Adams' Vampirella piece is just as nice. smile.gif You can see both of them and a ton of other Vampirella art at my website, www.bigwowart.com -- go to the on-line gallery section, not the for sale stuff (although there are a few Vampirella pieces there as well). Unfortunately, I only have a small portion of my Vampirella art up but it'll give you a feel for some of the various artists who have drawn Vampirella through the years. Best, Steve Morger.

While that is a iconic cover, the whole female obession that goes on with Wonder Woman, Super Girl, Lady Death, Tomb Raider, Vampi, etc....just escapes me.

seriously speaking, though, i've always felt that the whole good girl comic thing is a black mark on the hobby; it feeds into the stereotype just a little too much, and not in a good way.

893whatthe.gif

Hari & Michael - beautiful, scantily-clad/nude women have been a popular artistic subject for centuries! I think it's only natural that it remains popular in comic and illustration art - what's not to like about beautiful women? confused-smiley-013.gif Well, unless you're...well, let's not go there (not that there's anything wrong with that!) tongue.gif27_laughing.gif

Though, I was having a conversation with my buddy Lambo the other week about the topic - certainly, some artists pull it off in a classier and more artistic way than others. No offense to BassGMan, but there is a big difference between a sexy, playful Gil Elvgren painting and an in-your-face X-rated Armando Huerta comic cover. Jose Gonzalez's classic Vampirella was sexy...Harris Comics' present incarnation of Vampirella with a size EEE bust and wearing a costume made out of dental floss is lewd, garish and simply impractical. Dave Stevens could/can certainly draw a fine filly, no? I am at a loss, though, to understand the fascination with some "good-girl" artists such as J. Scott Campbell (simply awful), Adam Hughes (I haven't seen him draw a woman that actually looks attractive since Legends of the Stargrazers!!) and a few others.

you tell 'em mike! real comic geeks have no need for scantily-clad women! thumbsup2.gif

Well, I will agree that all comic art, whether it be of Superman and The Hulk or Wonder Woman and Vampirella, panders to our inner adolescent fanboy comic geek instincts to some extent, no? confused-smiley-013.gif If it didn't, we would all be collecting fine art and having wine and cheese at gallery openings in Chelsea and SoHo instead of enjoying our CGC Forum lunches at Virgil's BBQ talking comics and art!! insane.gif

Gene

our inner adolescent fanboy comic geek instincts to some extent, no?

I understand, Gene. Now that I'm older, though, I'm able to choose which "inner adolescent fanboy comic geek instincts" I indulge in. Hulk vs. Wolverine slug-fest: indulge! Images that are better suited for Maxim or Playboy or Stuff: why not just buy those magazines and be honest with yourself?

I understand, Gene. Now that I'm older, though, I'm able to choose which "inner adolescent fanboy comic geek instincts" I indulge in. Hulk vs. Wolverine slug-fest: indulge! Images that are better suited for Maxim or Playboy or Stuff: why not just buy those magazines and be honest with yourself?

Well, I would agree that some of the stuff out there is obviously pandering to adolescent fanboys, but does every Vampirella, Elektra, Red Sonja, Wonder Woman, Zatanna, Invisible Woman, She-Hulk, etc. piece fall into that category? Where does an Elektra piece by Miller or Sienkiewicz fall? What about a George Perez Wonder Woman cover? I think I spied a Greg Horn Elektra cover in your collection, no? poke2.gif

893whatthe.gif

Hari & Michael - beautiful, scantily-clad/nude women have been a popular artistic subject for centuries! I think it's only natural that it remains popular in comic and illustration art - what's not to like about beautiful women? confused-smiley-013.gif Well, unless you're...well, let's not go there (not that there's anything wrong with that!) tongue.gif27_laughing.gif

Though, I was having a conversation with my buddy Lambo the other week about the topic - certainly, some artists pull it off in a classier and more artistic way than others. No offense to BassGMan, but there is a big difference between a sexy, playful Gil Elvgren painting and an in-your-face X-rated Armando Huerta comic cover. Jose Gonzalez's classic Vampirella was sexy...Harris Comics' present incarnation of Vampirella with a size EEE bust and wearing a costume made out of dental floss is lewd, garish and simply impractical. Dave Stevens could/can certainly draw a fine filly, no? I am at a loss, though, to understand the fascination with some "good-girl" artists such as J. Scott Campbell (simply awful), Adam Hughes (I haven't seen him draw a woman that actually looks attractive since Legends of the Stargrazers!!) and a few others.

Well, I will agree that all comic art, whether it be of Superman and The Hulk or Wonder Woman and Vampirella, panders to our inner adolescent fanboy comic geek instincts to some extent, no? confused-smiley-013.gif If it didn't, we would all be collecting fine art and having wine and cheese at gallery openings in Chelsea and SoHo instead of enjoying our CGC Forum lunches at Virgil's BBQ talking comics and art!! insane.gif

Gene

Gene,

While you're right on the money about Fine Art being female obsessed (most famous painting in the world....Mona Lisa....is of a woman...not particularly attractive one at that) , comic books and comic art, are driven by nostalgia and not by what would appeal to the mainstream market. When I was 7-8 yrs old, watching the Batman tv show , I wasn't thinking how strong and what a great role model for women that Batgirl is, or how hot she looked in those tights, ......I am thinking how is Batman and Robin going to get out of this one ! - I didn't dislike Batgirl, but she didn't interest me. As an adult, I appreciate women tremendously, but they don't appeal to that very basic feeling that drives people to collect in the first place : nostalgia.

And when I look at a comic page or a comic book, I am thinking of that time in my life when that was my biggest problem.....that the Joker had Robin hostage. We all capture that time again (not on the same scale, but generally) and that's what drives us as adults to spend stupid money on objects of paper.

When I was growing up in the 70's , female super heroes were not popular like they are now. There was Batgirl, WW and Super Girl....Bonic Woman too on a lesser scale...and that was it. They were always side kicks and never seen as main players...except WW.

Like was pointed out, Wonder Woman was always treated better than the others and I tend to see her popularity more than any others.....

Well, I would agree that some of the stuff out there is obviously pandering to adolescent fanboys, but does every Vampirella, Elektra, Red Sonja, Wonder Woman, Zatanna, Invisible Woman, She-Hulk, etc. piece fall into that category? Where does an Elektra piece by Miller or Sienkiewicz fall? What about a George Perez Wonder Woman cover? I think I spied a Greg Horn Elektra cover in your collection, no? poke2.gif

Hi Gene,

Yes, I do have an Elektra Greg Horn cover..... but it's just a face shot! (cover to issue 6). But, I agree with you that some of the art is in in good taste, while others are not. The ratio is something like 1:9 these days, and that's really my point.

Maybe when you get married, you'll understand poke2.gif