• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this book slabbed, or not?

13 posts in this topic

Amazing Fantasy 15 appears to be encased in CGC's inner-well and plastic holder, but in the description, the seller is sketchy about the books grade (could be a 7.0 or 7.5)... and he also refers to the book being restored, but he doesn't mention the extent of the restoration, nor any information on the label. What do you guys/gals make of it? confused.gif

Looks like a scan of a CGC book.

The guy either is using a scan from a book that is not his, or he has cracked it from the slab for some reason.

Either way, I wouldn't be bidding on it.

I saw this auction earlier and red flags were going off everywhere. The whole auction description along with the fact the image appears to be of an AF 15 in a CGC holder. This seller might as well just posted a title of "Sketchy auction on Amazing Fantasy 15".

The reason why I say this is the wierdest auction to date; I have never seen anyone trying to leverage premium yields on a comic by NOT mentioning that it is CGC graded!! Even though its restored, I do believe this book would do far better in price (I'm not sure about the BIN) if he discloses the grade and label info. Even if he cracked it open, it would serve him better than the red flags he's wildly tossing-out with the lingo in his description. tongue.gif

Even though its restored, I do believe this book would do far better in price (I'm not sure about the BIN) if he discloses the grade and label info

It is probably a much lower grade than he is stating or has 'major' resto.

Actually, you just reminded me of something; shocked.gif

I remember getting solicited a little while back by someone who wanted to get an appraisal on an AF 15 he recently purchased; he tracked a whole bunch of my ebay bids and purchases (mostly spidey at the time), and asked me if I knew how much his resto AF 15 was worth. He was boasting about how little he paid for the book, and then I found out that his copy had a laser printed front cover married to the original rear cover. I thought -- not only is the purple label the kiss of death, but that copy is nearly unsalable with the xeroxed front cover.

I think you hit the nail on the head blowout -- this seller definitely seems to be hiding something about the extent of restoration on this AF 15.

I think I will try a point by point examination:

[*](listing states)Restored book, great shape: The book is restored.

[*](listing states)The cover is attached, but not firmly: These are the comments that was on the book from the previous owner.

[*](listing states)I have not taken it out of case. I would place this book in the FI+ to VF- range.:Why would he grade the book if it is still in the case? CGC would have a grade assigned to it.

[*](listing states)Compare it to other CGC rated books and come to your own conclusion: Again, this would be redundant if it were still in the slab.

[*](back cover pic)The cover looks firmly attached.this refutes his statement that the cover is not firmly attached

[*](back cover pic)Stain on lower right of book. Seems like this would lower the grade considerably

[*](feedback)Sold a Incredible Hulk #4 1962 CGC 7.0. He was able to include a scan with the label showing.

Conclusion: He seems to be hiding something with his vague description and poor scan. avoid the auction.

Here's what we're looking at:

1) Staples replaced (look at the back cover scan)

2) Back cover stain HAS BEEN WASHED, but not effectively.

3) Front cover right side has been PAINTED (look at how the white streak CONTINUES past the brown area to the right edge....use my scan in my current auction for comparison)

web page

I looked at your scan..then went to your other auctions. So I got a question:

Youve got a 9.9 Spidey #64 for sale on eBay... the scan looked sensational! Why isnt it slabbed? A 9.9 would make hearts atwitter and wallets fly open, especially to many regulars here on these boards?

Seems like you're leaving a lot of dough on the table...

First off, did you see what I was referring to on the AF15. It's obvious when compared to another.

Secondly, I cater the unslabbed market, mostly. I don't even know how to submit a book for grading, never have. I do VERY well with unslabbed material and the book, ultimately, will sell for what it's worth, a tidy sum, at a PROFIT. I have a large inventory of CGC graded books (mostly in a holding pattern, awaiting for the market to catch up to WHAT I OVERPAID ON THEM), and I have a large inventory of raw material as well. Books bought at much more realistic prices that a profit CAN be realized upon, NOW, not in the far flung future. Books acquired on Ebay (that Ebayers FEARED bidding on because they weren't slabbed, but were GORGEOUS books that everyone "slept" on as the auctions were ending), and books acquired through collectors, and show scavengers who work with me looking far and wide for my wants in the right kind of condition.