• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: The Creature (Dell, 1964, 2nd print)
2 2

9 posts in this topic

I just received a lot of +30 Dell silver age comics, mostly horror titles. This copy of the Creature wasn't the motivating factor for buying, but I did notice it was included. I also didn't know which version it was at the time, but it's the 2nd print. Unclear to me what the difference in value is, but there are 3× more copies of the 1st print than the 2nd in the CGC census. Not sure it's knowable if that's b/c of how many copies are in circulation, or just b/c people care more about grading the first print. Pretty nice looking copy, given the Dell grading scale that typically ranges between beat to hell to almost beat to hell. There are only 8 copies graded 9.0 or above for both printings combined. Won't challenge those numbers, but what do you think?

Edit: Just a shadow on the inner pages. Just showing the centerfold, which seems to fall out of Dell books if you breath on them too hard. This one is firmly attached.

PXL_20230825_195623769.jpg

PXL_20230825_195707507.jpg

PXL_20230825_195730154.jpg

PXL_20230826_013518004.jpg

Edited by scburdet

On 8/25/2023 at 9:04 PM, scburdet said:

Sort of curious if you thought the wording of my edit was meant to suggest the centerfold was loose/detached (it's not)

No. It could be but my guess probably wouldn't change.

Edge wear, rounded and blunted corners, corner creasing, cover appears to have lost some of its gloss, minor bends best seen in the inside front cover, some sort of discoloration on the lower right edge. General wear sort of thing. Maybe a 5.5.

:takeit: