• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Surfer #4 question

8 posts in this topic

I have a SS4 that has an incredible front and back cover, square corners, great gloss, just beautiful...but the last all ads page is missing the top corner...about a 1 inch triangular missing piece.

What's the top grade this book could get with the missing chunk?  I can't seem to find a definitive answer in the standards.  Most info seems to focus on the cover, page whiteness, and centerfold. 

Book is on the way to cgc, or I'd include a couple of pics.

The reason you can't get an exact answer is because the defect would really needs to be weighed against the overall condition of the book. 

If the books is F or VG the impact will be much lower than if the book is NM.  

A one inch missing corner on an interior page shouldn't have a huge impact. I imagine the maximum grade it could get would be a 9.0 or so. Others may have a better sense. 

Doesn’t matter right? The book is already on its way to cgc?

just go play some video games or do some sports betting, spend your time on things you can impact 

It will be on the way, it's at my lcs...he makes big monthly trips t9 CgC, so it'll be awhile.

My question still remains tho, how a torn piece impacts the grade...even once I have the book, unless graders notes describe the impact, I won't know anything for sure.

On 8/28/2023 at 7:49 AM, SteveMullins said:

It will be on the way, it's at my lcs...he makes big monthly trips t9 CgC, so it'll be awhile.

My question still remains tho, how a torn piece impacts the grade...even once I have the book, unless graders notes describe the impact, I won't know anything for sure.

The grading guide does describe different types of missing parts and pieces, but it also describes the grade range for a missing piece ranging from .5 to 9.8. Obviously, a smaller piece missing wouldn't have as much impact as a larger piece. And there's a distinct difference between pieces missing from the cover and a piece missing from the interior. Not only that, it's true that CGC will often give a Qualified grade to higher grade books with an interior flaw like the one you've described. 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see...  

Considering only the front/back covers, I'd give this Challengers #1 a grade of 7.0.  Hence, it appears to me that CGC treated the small piece missing from the margin of leaf 1 as insignificant.  On this basis, I seriously doubt that CGC will deduct more than one grade increment (0.5 points) on your "8.5 to 9.0."  Not seeing the book (but trusting your assessment), I'll guess that it gets certified as a Universal (Blue Label) Grade 8.0~8.5.  :foryou:

Chall01-70.thumb.jpg.d66631914789d9529df245da8ec292f4.jpg Chall01-70b.thumb.jpg.edfcfc4242fd535800e39c8b31658cb7.jpg

Chall01-70c.png.984dc16a1416a0db53ee9625dd75b221.png