• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in! PGM -- ASM #4 -- 3rd series
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I am about to send in a few comics to be graded and would appreciate the community's opinion on this book.

It looks very nice, but there is a non-glossy spot at top of book.  I hope the pictures convey.  Want to know what y'all think before I submit.

asm-4-01.jpg

asm-4-02.jpg

asm-4-03.jpg

asm-4-04.jpg

asm-4-05.jpg

asm-4-06.jpg

asm-4-07.jpg

Edited by redgar-red
Grade is in

Sorry, my old eyes cannot really tell a difference in the cover gloss where you have pointed it out with the arrow and circle.

Other than that all I see is a small bindery tear at the bottom, According to the grading standards (Not CGC's standards, i do not know what CGC's view is or what the new CGC Grading Guide states about Bindery Tears), Bindery Tears are not allowed in NM+ 9.6 and must be less than 1/16" on Silver Age and newer books.

From what I can see, depending on the size of the Bindery Tear, IMO...NM- 9.2 to NM 9.4

Note: I would never assign a grade higher than NM 9.4 for a book I do not have in front of me.

Bindery Tear
a small horizontal rip found on the spine in a book’s cover that can usually be seen from the front to the back. if a bindery tear is shorter than 1/4″, then these can be graded like a spine stress.

9.6 NEAR MINT+ (NM+):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect with a minor additional virtue or virtues that raise it from Near Mint. Only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed. No bindery tears are allowed, although on Golden Age books bindery tears of up to 1/8" have been noted. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and a minimum of fading. One corner may be almost imperceptibly blunted, but still almost sharp and cut square. Almost imperceptible indentations are permissible, but no creases, bends, or color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Spine is tight and flat. Staples must be original, generally centered, with only the slightest discoloration. Paper is off-white, supple and fresh. Only the slightest interior tears are allowed.

9.4 NEAR MINT (NM):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect with only minor imperfections that keep it from the next higher grade. Subtle bindery/printing defects are allowed. Bindery tears must be less than 1/16" on Silver Age and later books, although on Golden Age books bindery tears of up to 1/4" have been noted. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and a minimum of fading. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted. A 1/16" bend is permitted with no color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Slight foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples are generally centered; may have slight discoloration. Almost no stress lines. Paper is off-white to cream, supple and fresh. Slight interior tears are allowed.

9.2 NEAR MINT- (NM-):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect with only a minor additional defect or defects that keep it from Near Mint. A limited number of minor bindery/printing defects are allowed. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with only the slightest dimming of reflectivity. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted. A 1/16-1/8" bend is permitted with no color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Slight foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples may show some discoloration. Almost no stress lines. Paper is off-white to cream, supple and fresh. Slight interior tears are allowed.

asm-4-01.thumb.jpg.40dfa7fc29ee3ef1331c8bfde993bddd.jpg

Where the arrow is pointing, is that what we are looking at? If so, is that an indentation, fingerprint?

An indentation or possibly a stain may/will be seen on the inside of the cover.

A fingerprint can be detected using a "black light", I sold some sports cards for one of Grandson's and I purchased a magnifier/black light to look for fingerprints, $10.00 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KS7BGN5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

asm-4-06.thumb.jpg.94c51daf21c4bb131bd9d7c5474f4f94.jpg