• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Spectacular Spider-Man 116
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I have a few books that are pretty nice but have at least one corner where the cut is not clean from the factory. I can tell this is the case because the subsequent interior pages have a similar shape to the cut. I am trying to figure out if this is seen as a flaw or whether it goes into the same category as minor bindery tears, gripper holes, distribution ink and slight over/under wrap of the spine? All things that, while affecting the presentation, generally don't effect the numerical grade. Basically, what would this book be graded at with the upper right corner not being completely squared off/sharp? Can a book like this get a 9.8 if otherwise worthy? (not saying it is, just trying to see if it is worth sending in books with this factory issue) Thanks

20230830_095122.jpg

20230830_095235.jpg

20230901_230658.jpg

20230901_230709.jpg

Manufacturing defects are defects they just aren't penalized as severely as the equivalent handling defect. If this chipping is from manufacturing, you might pull a low 9 b/c it's pretty extensive. I don't know if the more probable grade merits testing the CGC waters. The closest recent sell comp for a newsstand is $22 for a 9.2. Didn't even cover the current grading costs.

On 9/2/2023 at 11:38 AM, scburdet said:

Manufacturing defects are defects they just aren't penalized as severely as the equivalent handling defect. If this chipping is from manufacturing, you might pull a low 9 b/c it's pretty extensive. I don't know if the more probable grade merits testing the CGC waters. The closest recent sell comp for a newsstand is $22 for a 9.2. Didn't even cover the current grading costs.

Thank you for the response. I wasnt really set on getting this one graded but really wanted to get a feel for how that kind of "flaw" effected the grade because I have seen (and own) many books like this that were otherwise very sharp and have always wondered how the CGC graders would grade them... Thanks 

Edited by chadsdsmith
spelling