• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone going to Baltimore Comic-Con?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2023 at 2:19 PM, ZenAmako said:

I went to the charity art auction this year.  I've really only dabbled in original comic art and it seemed like there were some pretty hardcore collectors there.  A Thor piece by Walter Simonson (the cover of the Modern Masters book), which was presented by Simonson himself, sold for $20K.

I had my eye on a color illustration of Sam & Max by Steve Purcell.  I used to own an awesome page from the first Sam & Max comic, which I sold about 10 years ago on eBay for something like $600 when I needed money.  I wanted another S&M piece for my collection, but this one sold for a whopping $10K.  I knew I wasn't getting this when the gentleman running the auction bid $3K before the auction had even started.

There were quite a few other nice pieces as well, like a J. Scott Campbell Hera and an original Bloom County strip.

Anthony's Comic Art and ComicConnect were there in the exhibitor's hall.  ComicConnect had the original art for the Batman: White Knight page by Sean Murphy that was censored (the Joker/Harley bed scene).  It was $13K.

I did see some good pieces, but not many I could afford, sadly.

Welcome aboard. New blood is always appreciated.

On 9/12/2023 at 11:19 AM, ZenAmako said:

I went to the charity art auction this year.  I've really only dabbled in original comic art and it seemed like there were some pretty hardcore collectors there.  A Thor piece by Walter Simonson (the cover of the Modern Masters book), which was presented by Simonson himself, sold for $20K.

It was not the published cover - it was a reinterpretation done for the auction. It was still awesome tho. 

IMG_7940.jpeg

On 9/13/2023 at 8:27 AM, Ecclectica said:

There were others excellent pieces in this HI auction. I was amazed by the new rendition of Batman by Kelley Jones for example.

The Batman by Kelley Jones was terrific.  I'm looking forward to his upcoming project, which I think will be announced soon.

Edited by ZenAmako

On 9/13/2023 at 8:27 AM, Ecclectica said:

There were others excellent pieces in this HI auction. I was amazed by the new rendition of Batman by Kelley Jones for example.

I was at the auction and the Jones piece was truly wonderful.  Its an image of Batman Red Rain so I can understand why you'd think its a new rendition, but the character has appeared several times previously.

On 9/12/2023 at 2:19 PM, ZenAmako said:

I had my eye on a color illustration of Sam & Max by Steve Purcell.  I used to own an awesome page from the first Sam & Max comic, which I sold about 10 years ago on eBay for something like $600 when I needed money.  I wanted another S&M piece for my collection, but this one sold for a whopping $10K.  I knew I wasn't getting this when the gentleman running the auction bid $3K before the auction had even started.

There were quite a few other nice pieces as well, like a J. Scott Campbell Hera and an original Bloom County strip.

Anthony's Comic Art and ComicConnect were there in the exhibitor's hall.  ComicConnect had the original art for the Batman: White Knight page by Sean Murphy that was censored (the Joker/Harley bed scene).  It was $13K.

I did see some good pieces, but not many I could afford, sadly.

Welcome to the boards, and thank you! Do you recall what the Bloom County strip went for?