• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why people send random book for grading to cgc?
1 1

44 posts in this topic

The same opinion is found in sports card grading circles.  Sure, send in the Michael Jordan RC by all means, but not the 1977 Ken Clay RC?

I have just begun sending in books to CGC the past two years.  I don't have any issues that are prominent "keys;" just a few first issues that brought back my youth in the 70's.  However, I am endeavoring to complete a set of The Human Fly (just three more to go) and place it in the registry.  i have a few books from the late 60's that I am just interested in seeing what condition is assigned to them.  While I have sent in a couple of modern books, I did so for my personal collection.  I will be sending in a four-issue storyline from Marvel Team-Up #41-44 that featured the Salem Witch Trials (Vision, Scarlet Witch, Doctor Doom, Moondragon).    I just want to know how they grade and display them.

As most have mentioned in this thread, whatever you enjoy in the comic book hobby, enjoy.

On 11/28/2023 at 3:57 AM, Jose Quintana said:

whatever you enjoy in the comic book hobby, enjoy.

And there it is.

I never really thought to get someone's approval for slabbing what I want to get slabbed. The fact is I want to get it slabbed, and if you roll your eyes at that, then begone.

On 11/27/2023 at 11:33 AM, shadroch said:

If I had the first comic I bought, I'd cherish it but not encase it in plastic.  It takes all types.

And there's nothing wrong with that at all. But I want to ensure that I have it protected. My mother is ghe entire reason I ever got into comics to begin with. She used them as a way to get me interested in reading in general, which was a very smart move on her part. She was always very supportive of my hobby because I was 6 year old kid that actually WANTED to read! 

But regardless, it's an important part of my childhood and will always remind me of my mother. So I want it protected and looking special. Because it is special to me.