• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Bronze Age is an Un-Tapped Gold Mine

22 posts in this topic

Just got my new Overstreet guide and have been reading the market reports.

What strikes me most this year is all the dealer talk of a huge growth in the Bronze Age market and that many who didn't buy BA collections previously are now actively seeking to buy and stock Bronze books.

This could mean a higher supply of HG books being flushed out and sent to CGC, and inflating the census numbers.

Could anyone looking for those Bronze Age gems for cheap have missed the boat now that the BA is hot?

And what do people think of all the dealer and collector attention that is shifting from SA to BA?

IMO...i think the bronze age books have slowed and the SA market is heating up big time. There are just not enough SA books out there. BA books must outnumber SA 3:1 in terms if keys....? The Hulks 181s, ASM #129s and other keys will continue to go up but b characters and such may be on their way down (witness recent sales of DD #131,AT #25,TOD #1)..... don't get me wrong, i am all for a high grade avengers #93 and det #400....but where are rhey?

I definitely picked up that flavor from the reports, and personally feel that most DC and Marvel books from about 1970-1974 are undervalued in the guide in NM. These books are tough to find in grade (they pre-date direct distribution) which makes collecting them fun, there are plenty of keys and semi-keys, a good variety of titles and genres, and early work by some great artists (Adams, Steranko, Wrightson, Kaluta, Ploog, Byrne, etc.,.). So, the boat hasn't left the dock yet if you can get NM copies for guide!

However, I don't feel high grade CGC copies are undervalued on ebay (and never have)...but obviously many here do as amazing prices for books from this era are still being brought (alleged crash or no), with many forum members doing the buying.

I tend to agree that the BA is gonna do now what the SA did in the late 80's. Go nuts. And I KNOW this to be true because I dumped my BA when no one wanted it, even though my "gut" said "keep them." but I really didn't think thids many years would go by until things hit.

So I have a couple of things I am thinking of in terms of sheer investment. A couple of areas that are being mentioned here and there but no real mainstream activity yet. I shall be seeking some of these also at Wondercon! This is the second time I have outwitted myself (the other time was getting rid of those long boxes of precode horror - ::kick kick::). It shall not happen again!

my most sincere condolences

My thanks. I had things like Adventures Into the Unknown #1, Marvel Tales #93 (aka #1), Journey Into Mystery #1, Mystery Tales #1, all of the Avon 1-shots, and tons more. Dag Nab It!

But no more. I am holding on to all of my nice Jungle/Jumbo/Sheena/Dagar Desert Hawk type books. Actually, anythig I have. Will not be caught short again! grin.gif

Yo Pov - reading between the lines, if you're gonna be looking for what I think you're gonna be looking for, I'd appreciate it if you could keep your eyes open for NM- or better copies of HoM 175, 186, 187, 203, and 207 and HoS 82. I need these!!

I think Bronze common issues and Bronze DCs in general have room to move. Those regarded as keys on the otherhand are already tapped out in my opinion. There just too many copies out in the market and are no comparison to SA for availability in high grade.

Jim

HIgh-grade Romance? It's cool to collect "rare" books, but you start buying BA romance titles, and you might as well put on a dress. Come on guys, at least invest in something you might want to read someday.....................Oh.

Come on guys, at least invest in something you might want to read someday.....................Oh.

"Oh" grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

But on a more serious note - if the book is for pure investment then reading takes a back seat - which slabbed books tend to support.

But as far as Romance goes? It is, in my opinion - err - nevermind - wait until I return from Wondercon!

they have some of the most ridiculous cover titles ever

They do - which, in the future, may well equate to "cha-ching!".

My Romance interest is with Matt Baker - no - I take that back - ignore all Matt Baker romance books. They have no value. Sorry to have almost guided you onto the path of destruction!

so you wouldn't be interested in my slabbed All-Picture Stories, the rare squarebound St. John, then?

I loathe Baker art - it is so - Baker. But do not know this book. Can you elucidate? Is All-Picture the publisher title? Can you check the indicia? (oops- it is slabbed - you cannot) - seriously - what can you tell me?

I think Bronze common issues and Bronze DCs in general have room to move. Those regarded as keys on the otherhand are already tapped out in my opinion. There just too many copies out in the market and are no comparison to SA for availability in high grade.

True BA books are certainly much more common in grade that SA.

BUT, Bronze books have hit the 25 year demand point for a collectable as most of the kids that grew up in the 70's try to reclaim the comics they read. This is translating to big time demand for BA books even surpasing the demand for SA as it becomes too expensive for most collectors.

It all depends if the demand continues to rise, thus depleting the HG supply further and pushing up prices.