• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This kinda goes along with my $2000 post. But diff quesition

33 posts in this topic

Soon I will be able to spend around $2000 on a comic. headbang.gif I am pretty impulsive and will sometimes buy a comic-taking a gamble to try and get a deal. But, I will not be doing this anymore, especially on ebay.

Anyways, I've been working on completing X-men 1-50-missing about 21 issues, but I have 2-9. I was thinking of searching for a copy of #1 around 6.0-6.5. But, I have also always loved the idea of having a Silverage graded 9.8 and it being the highest graded copy of that issue. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif But, I dunno I'm trying to decide what to search after. I mean I'll prob look for both and find a deal, but what do you think? I was thinken an issue like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/JW5-CGC-AMAZING-SPID...1QQcmdZViewItem

Sorry, it's just that it's finals week and I'm on my comp all the time, and I have to find reasons to procrastinate.

cloud9.gif I remember that time. I agree with what Silver Surfer said. Try to focus on something. I know the inclination to buy something else is strong.

Soon I will be able to spend around $2000 on a comic. headbang.gif I am pretty impulsive and will sometimes buy a comic-taking a gamble to try and get a deal. But, I will not be doing this anymore, especially on ebay.

Anyways, I've been working on completing X-men 1-50-missing about 21 issues, but I have 2-9. I was thinking of searching for a copy of #1 around 6.0-6.5. But, I have also always loved the idea of having a Silverage graded 9.8 and it being the highest graded copy of that issue. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif But, I dunno I'm trying to decide what to search after. I mean I'll prob look for both and find a deal, but what do you think? I was thinken an issue like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/JW5-CGC-AMAZING-SPID...1QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe a good way to answer that is to ask yourself, would you be buying a 9.8 like this simply because of the "cool" factor (knowing that you have the highest graded issue)? Say that in the next few years, a dozen more 9.8s of this issue were slabbed, or maybe a 9.9 or two. Would you feel a sense of disappointment, or would you still be equally happy with your purchase?

My opinion, and it's just my opinion, is that it's absolutely crazy to spend that kind of money on an ASM #97, when you could get a nice 9.2 or 9.4 for 10% of that price that would be near-identical to the 9.8. If I were to binge on a book the way that you are contemplating doing, I'd much rather buy a nice early GA book that is genuinely rare. Or if you're concentrating on the silver age, I'd take an ASM 1 or similar silver key and be quite happy.

Agree with Point Five on his points. Having bought a few high grades only to then realize I don't have money left for anything else kinda sucks. I bought a pile of beautiful TTA's in 9.2 and for $2,000 you could put together a run of 20 or so books which is way more satisfying than buying just one book. Unless you could score a huge deal on one of your grails I think this might be the better route. Write down what your top ten books would be and set a goal.

Agree with Point Five on his points. Having bought a few high grades only to then realize I don't have money left for anything else kinda sucks. I bought a pile of beautiful TTA's in 9.2 and for $2,000 you could put together a run of 20 or so books which is way more satisfying than buying just one book. Unless you could score a huge deal on one of your grails I think this might be the better route. Write down what your top ten books would be and set a goal.

Good advice, I'm gonna do this, thanks!!

Write down what your top ten books would be and set a goal.

Exactly.

I spent about 2 wks a while back going through the GCD looking for my all-time favorite comics and making a list. I probably looked at over 2000 covers to cull my list of absolute "must-have" grails.

Now I have a shortlist to work from that I plan on completing over the next 4-5 yrs. I may add a few books to my list as time goes by (VoH 26), but the core remains the same.

I still buy reading material, but that's a relatively low expense ($50-$100/month).

When you don't have unlimited funds, you have to have a plan. A roadmap for collecting whereby you end up with the comics that are most important to you.

Sorry, it's just that it's finals week and I'm on my comp all the time, and I have to find reasons to procrastinate.

Then why don't you participate in other threads rather than just doing the internet equivalent of shouting "ME, ME, ME" all the time?

And since you have all this free time, learn to use the "search" button.

Then why don't you participate in other threads rather than just doing the internet equivalent of shouting "ME, ME, ME" all the time?

And since you have all this free time, learn to use the "search" button.

893whatthe.gif Ouch. Boy I am glad you didn't greet me the same way when I first joined. Maybe you thought I was collecting DCs tongue.gif

And that's an early finals week, ours does not start until the 12th! And anyway, the last thing you want to do on finals' week is to procrastinate anyway 'cuz you sure are going to pizz off your faculty if you ask last minute questions 893censored-thumb.gif

I don't like to make a negative statement, but sometimes you feel compelled to. I don't understand where you get off being so rude to this poster. So he did not place his threads/posts in an orderly enough fashion for you. So what? That does not give you the right to be as overly rude as you are being. People with responses like yours make people feel stupid and make them not want to post for fear of being made to look ignorant. Before you come back with some scathing reply, please know that i am not a child or someone who gets his feelings hurt easily. With that said, why don't you tell me why you feel the need to be such a jerk to someone who is obviously just trying to be a part of this community and share his love of nice books?

Where I get off is having been around on these boards long enough to know what constitutes proper boards etiquette. A newbie coming on and doing almost nothing but starting new threads and posting almost exclusively in his or her threads is not proper etiquette, it is just using the boards and indicates a complete disdain for the rest of the community here.

If you feel I was rude, it's because I felt yenling was being rude to this community with his behavior. Did you note in the thread he asked about 9.9s and 10.0s in the census, and after a reply was posted extremely quickly, how there was no reply from him expressing any appreciation whatsoever? Maybe it's because he's of college age and this is typical behavior of the Gen Xers (or Y or whatever they are now) on internet forums, but it doesn't mean I have to like it and am not entitled to express my opinion.

And considering that the first notable post I ever read from you was a criticism of a board member (Sterling) of long standing here, you'll excuse me if your indignation strikes me as more than a bit ironic.

893whatthe.gif Ouch. Boy I am glad you didn't greet me the same way when I first joined.

Nah, you behaved like a mature adult when you joined. flowerred.gif And, you immediately contributed to the boards, you didn't just take take take.

But I'm watching you...

You're excused. Ironic in what way? The way that i called you on your rudeness to another person on here? Ironic in that the "only" post you have read of mine had to do with my criticism of another member who i felt also has belittled other forum members, much as you have done? Your argument does not hold water. You were rude. Plain and simple. I have contributed several what i consider to be worthy posts in my short time on these boards. Just because my post count is not as high as yours does not mean i am not to be taken seriously when it comes to telling another person they are wrong for their actions. You speak of etiquette on the boards and the lack thereof. Do you consider your remarks proper etiquette?

Geez,what ever happened to the Holiday spirit and good will towards your fellow man?I personally don't mind an enthusiastic new poster,even if they go overboard a little.What really bothers me is the 10 billion brain cells I lost scrolling thru 100's & 100's of pages of nothing but stupid gremlins.I'm glad the mods addressed this,because I really believe people do this to just to up their post count.Like having 50,000 posts makes you some kind of amazing person.An amazing person with hemroids and anal warts probably... confused-smiley-013.gif.......HAPPY HOLIDAYS! thumbsup2.gif

I don't like to make a negative statement, but sometimes you feel compelled to. I don't understand where you get off being so rude to this poster. So he did not place his threads/posts in an orderly enough fashion for you. So what? That does not give you the right to be as overly rude as you are being. People with responses like yours make people feel stupid and make them not want to post for fear of being made to look ignorant. Before you come back with some scathing reply, please know that i am not a child or someone who gets his feelings hurt easily. With that said, why don't you tell me why you feel the need to be such a jerk to someone who is obviously just trying to be a part of this community and share his love of nice books?

Tim hates newbies, especially those in the 20-25 year old age bracket. I remember he flamed me ruthlessly, and without provocation, when I first joined. You would do well to avoid him, lest you become the object of his ire...which is fierce indeed on the days he isn't able to visit one of the local bath houses or all-male discoteches.

All joking aside, it IS nice when new posters make the effort to get a sense of the board etiquette and it does annoy me when someone bothers to post a quick reply and it goes unacknowledged.

893whatthe.gif Ouch. Boy I am glad you didn't greet me the same way when I first joined.

Nah, you behaved like a mature adult when you joined. flowerred.gif And, you immediately contributed to the boards, you didn't just take take take.

But I'm watching you...

Greeeaaaat, now you're watching. Oh ... and be kind to the newbie. If he is of legitimate college age, his behavior is (sadly) typical ... well typical of my C students devil.gif