• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who else collects SCIENCE-FICTION original art?

36 posts in this topic

My favourite artist from my favourite comic-strip, DAN DARE - PILOT OF THE FUTURE (famous British comic-strip of the 1950s/60s). This cover, by Frank Hampson (assisted by Eric Eden), is from the story "Reign of the Robots" and dates from January 1958. The attention to detail is absolutely amazing (I've studied this original many times with a magnifying glass and the work is cameo-like in its precision). The original art was illustrated 'same size' (as the printed page), a small 11.5" x 9.5". Full-colour painted art, with the use of air-brush for space backgrounds. A personal favourite DAN DARE example . . . and a grail-like item from my collection.

i3f9d5.jpg

I look forward to other members sharing examples of SCIENCE-FICTION art! smile.gif

My CAF Galleries, which includes lots of DAN DARE cover originals, at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.aspGCat=1865

From the 1960s full-colour painted strip by Ron Turner that featured on the back cover of (the UK's) TV21 magazine, an episode of THE DALEKS (chief baddies from the long-running Science-Fiction TV series, DOCTOR WHO). Turner's work on the strip was nothing short of outstanding, and it's a reall thrill to possess this standout example

i5q0zs.jpg

Front cover original (full-colour painted art) by Frank Hampson, from the UK's EAGLE magazine of the 1950s/60s - featuring DAN DARE, PILOT OF THE FUTURE, in the adventure, "Rogue Planet" . . .

i5t6gw.jpg

Ron Turner (re-created) paperback cover painting of the early 1950s Scion title, THE BLACK AVENGERS . . .

During the 1990s, when Ron was alive and drawing his old age pension, he would take on commission work to supplement his income. His rates were very reasonable and a (re-created) cover painting like this would cost about £75. No nonsense about content (number of characters, backgrounds, etc) - just a straight fee! A real gentleman and class-act!

idyezr.jpg

Hello Everyone,

This is my first attempt to download a picture and what better genre than science fiction art. Wish me luck!! Several years ago I was SDCC and discovered Jay Disbrow back in the artist's alley. He was just sitting by himself with a few pieces of his art for sale. Being a big fan and quite familiar with his work for L.B. Cole and Star Comics, it was a privilege to finally meet one of my favorite artists who could do anything from jungle settings and weird haunts to outer space. . Here is a pen and ink with water color of Lance Corrigan. Jayson.jpg

Here's another DAN DARE (full-colour painted art) cover original, from the early 1960s adventure, "Operation Time Trap" by Keith Watson. Sometimes, I see similarities to Gene Colan's approach (angles and lighting) in Watson's work . . .

ip1s20.jpg

This is not nearly as impressive as Mister Trent's pages.

The background: I read a book by Gerard Jones and Gerard Jacobs, The Comic Book Heroes, that spoke the praises of a young cartoonist, Scott McCloud, and his comic, Zot! I bought an issue, got hooked on this hero from the "farflung future of 1968", and became a regular reader. Years later, I saw this page (cheap) and had to have it because the topmost panel had been re-printed in the book that turned me on to Zot in the first place.

1034677-Zot4pg7.jpg

1034677-Zot4pg7.jpg.d2e523c1273aaa163bce55cc1dabe471.jpg

This is not nearly as impressive as Mister Trent's pages.

The background: I read a book by Gerard Jones and Gerard Jacobs, The Comic Book Heroes, that spoke the praises of a young cartoonist, Scott McCloud, and his comic, Zot! I bought an issue, got hooked on this hero from the "farflung future of 1968", and became a regular reader. Years later, I saw this page (cheap) and had to have it because the topmost panel had been re-printed in the book that turned me on to Zot in the first place.

1034677-Zot4pg7.jpg

The page has a lot of charm, love the salutation, "Greetings, Sucker . . ." cool.gif

This was my first Frank Hampson-signed DARE original, which is a combination of Hampson, Keith Watson and Eric Eden artwork. The original art is small-sized (same size as the printed page), but the attention to detail is phenomenal. Sadly no scan can do the art full justice . . .

iyzvip.jpg

Terry great pieces...luv the panel with Dan & the alien riding on a tram of some kind! smile.gif

Adamstrange - GREAT Zot page! Killer first panel! 893applaud-thumb.gif

here's a Scorch Smith page I received yesterday...it may be on the fringes of Sci-fi...but it does have a space ship crash landing

scorchy062054.jpg