• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who else collects SCIENCE-FICTION original art?

36 posts in this topic

I love the blacks on that page, especially the first panel. Any idea who drew it?

One of these days I'm going find a nice and affordable Dan Dare page. I'm partial to Bellamy, all of your examples are wonderful.

One of these days I'm going find a nice and affordable Dan Dare page. I'm partial to Bellamy, all of your examples are wonderful.

There's an early DAN DARE cover original, from "Operation Saturn" on Ebay right now. It's currently bid up to around $1,300, but the reserve's not been met. The seller's Keiff Fromm. No idea what his reserve actually is, but you can always ask . . . 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I love the blacks on that page, especially the first panel. Any idea who drew it?

AdamStrange - here's the 411 on the Dan Dare page:

Art by A.C. HOLLINGSWORTH for the SCORCHY SMITH Sunday page newspaper comic strip published on June 20, 1954. This strip was syndicated by AP Newsfeatures. Signed by AL HOLLINGSWORTH in the splash panel. The art image area measures a huge 15-3/4" x 20-3/4" and was drawn with black ink on heavy illustration board.

The first panel is simply amazing...really lush inks! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Terry great pieces...luv the panel with Dan & the alien riding on a tram of some kind! smile.gif

Thanks, here's an (enlarged) scan of that panel, along with the right-hand one. Sorry about the faint lines on the scan, which aren't part of the original (I think my scanner's seen better days!).

The original art for DAN DARE, during the latter-half of the 1950s, reduced in size. Hampson found, working on small-size art boards allowed him to sit down at the drawing table - wheras he used to stand up. If anything, the work actually got better and better with the advent of small-size originals.

The actual size of these two panels measures 7" x 2.9". Even this scan, which has been significantly enlarged, retains much of its sharpness . . .

j0a1hd.jpg

Terry great pieces...luv the panel with Dan & the alien riding on a tram of some kind! smile.gif

Thanks, here's an (enlarged) scan of that panel, along with the right-hand one. Sorry about the faint lines on the scan, which aren't part of the original (I think my scanner's seen better days!).

The original art for DAN DARE, during the latter-half of the 1950s, reduced in size. Hampson found, working on small-size art boards allowed him to sit down at the drawing table - wheras he used to stand up. If anything, the work actually got better and better with the advent of small-size originals.

The actual size of these two panels measures 7" x 2.9". Even this scan, which has been significantly enlarged, retains much of its sharpness . . .

j0a1hd.jpg

Thanks for the enlarged scan...that panel just yells hilarity! :P "Mongo likes riding little aliens shaft-mobile!" Hehe 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Hampson's detail is really inspiring! I luv the camera angles he uses for each panel!

Now that you've shown off this art...you KNOW it's lost its value all together....so since it has no value...please mail it care of Hart...address is..... stooges.gif27_laughing.gif

There's an early DAN DARE cover original, from "Operation Saturn" on Ebay right now. It's currently bid up to around $1,300, but the reserve's not been met. The seller's Keiff Fromm. No idea what his reserve actually is, but you can always ask . . . 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Very nice, but I was late to the show as the auction ended. My preference is Bellamy so I'm willing to wait. I think I've seen a couple of his in the last few years.

Thanks for the enlarged scan...that panel just yells hilarity! :P "Mongo likes riding little aliens shaft-mobile!" Hehe 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Hampson's detail is really inspiring! I luv the camera angles he uses for each panel!

Now that you've shown off this art...you KNOW it's lost its value all together....so since it has no value...please mail it care of Hart...address is..... stooges.gif27_laughing.gif

Hey Hart

Sounds like you've been watching too many re-runs of FLESH GORDON! grin.gif

Even though the Hampson art's now totally value-less, I'll still love it and take care of it - I can't abandon my babies, y'know? What kind of loving father d'you take me for?;)

Very nice, but I was late to the show as the auction ended. My preference is Bellamy so I'm willing to wait. I think I've seen a couple of his in the last few years.

Bellamy worked on DAN DARE for a period of one year. There are approximately 52 pages of Bellamy DARE art in existence and they don't turn-up for sale that often. I (privately) sold a Bellamy DARE page a few months back to help fund the purchase of an EC cover. The price of the Bellamy equated to around $7,000, as it was a particularly nice example.

This has super-heros in it, but it's definitely sci-fi drawn by Murphy Anderson, who is, in turn, a big sci-fi fan.

1044847-MurphyAdampg.jpg

1044847-MurphyAdampg.jpg.6bc6f599251440b14b1e60c74b046da9.jpg

Bellamy worked on DAN DARE for a period of one year. There are approximately 52 pages of Bellamy DARE art in existence and they don't turn-up for sale that often. I (privately) sold a Bellamy DARE page a few months back to help fund the purchase of an EC cover. The price of the Bellamy equated to around $7,000, as it was a particularly nice example.

Thanks for the info MT, I had no idea how short a time that Bellamy worked on Dan Dare. Not being a Brit, I didn't have that much info on Bellamy as he's not well known across the pond.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I may be setting my sights on a non-Dan Dare Bellamy piece now.

Thanks for the info MT, I had no idea how short a time that Bellamy worked on Dan Dare. Not being a Brit, I didn't have that much info on Bellamy as he's not well known across the pond.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I may be setting my sights on a non-Dan Dare Bellamy piece now.

Bellamy died in the early 1970s, but remains a strong influence on the succeeding range of British artists who went on to do work for American comic-books.

American artists like Al Williamson and Neal Adams knew of, and admired, Bellamy's artwork. Williamson swiped quite a few Bellamy illustrations for his 1960s FLASH GORDON comics and a number of Warren stories (such as "Kasserine Pass", from BLAZING COMBAT, which uses swipes from Bellamy's MONTGOMERY strips).

If you've ever watched the (Patrick Macnee/Dianna Rigg) AVENGERS episode, "The Winged Avenger", then you'll be aware that Bellamy supplied all the strip-illustrations for that episode.

Bellamy's colour artwork is most in demand, but he did several years' worth of dailies for the GARTH newspaper strip - and these are relatively easy to purchase.

Thanks MT for the additional info on Bellamy. I'm not surprised at the folks you mentioned who think highly of him -- he was one of the greats.

Here's another Sci Fi page, but from an adventure comic "Danger Is Our Business". I had to assemble it from 3 scans and then merge the image so you lose quite a bit of detail in the process. I can post close-ups of a panel if anyone is interested.

1056528-Frazettapg1.jpg

1056528-Frazettapg1.jpg.edd9eae26d99338c4dbec5ca5c9684fa.jpg

Thanks MT for the additional info on Bellamy. I'm not surprised at the folks you mentioned who think highly of him -- he was one of the greats.

Here's another Sci Fi page, but from an adventure comic "Danger Is Our Business". I had to assemble it from 3 scans and then merge the image so you lose quite a bit of detail in the process. I can post close-ups of a panel if anyone is interested.

1056528-Frazettapg1.jpg

Wow, Frazetta, I'm impressed! hail.gif

Would like to see a close-up of panel 4, if you can oblige, thanks.

As requested. It may sound silly, but in person the inking on the sleeve of the Space Pirate is cloud9.gif

1056704-Frazetta1.jpg

1056704-Frazetta1.jpg.8bc499249e655ab6c443aa85aa3c692d.jpg