• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman / J. Michael Straczynski run

22 posts in this topic

I'm actually not a Spider-Man reader at all, but they had volume 2 of his run for 10 cents at the library so I picked it up. I thought the writing was well done and as I'm a sucker for emotional stories he definitely tackled that- but I don't think I'll be buying anything else from the series.

I also thought the 9-11 story was... I don't know, when I saw the scene of the Thing & Mr. Fantastic lifting rubble alongside the firefighters, cops and volunteers who were actually there (especially with those who lost their lives saving others) I thought that was disrespecftful. I don't really know why they felt the need to draw characters who in comic reality killed tons of people, yet all the villians were hanging around looking forlorn and Dr. Doom was crying? I know Marvel wanted to address the tragedy, but I thought the '9-11: Artists Respond' & '9-11: Stories to Remember' collections were a much better way to do it and felt completely genuine. Just me, though.

I read the 'Sins Past' 1st issue on the Marvel website and after I heard what it was actually about that just sounded unneccesary and soap opera-quality shock tactics.