• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman / J. Michael Straczynski run

22 posts in this topic

What are the opinions on J. Michael Straczynski's Amazing Spiderman run? And why do you feel that way?

There have been some reasonably big (depending on your view) things regarding his run.

Villans: Eziekel, Morlun

- The whole spiderman origin question

- Aunt May confronting peter about being Spiderman

- Spidey and the Avengers

As years pass and JMS is long gone, do you think this will be one of the better periods for ASM? Or will this end up like the Gwen Stacey clone period from back in the days?

As years pass and JMS is long gone, do you think this will be one of the better periods for ASM? Or will this end up like the Gwen Stacey clone period from back in the days?

It was touch and go for awhile, but by allowing JMS to mess with Gwen Stacy and effectively turn her into some lying, Osborne-porking 'ho has cemented this run as one of the worst in Marvel history, and it will be viewed in the same way as the Spider-Clone epic of the 90's.

In case you missed my response in "General":

The Spider-Clone saga of the 1990s was like Shakespeare compared to JMS's Gwen ret-con. I will never buy anything JMS writes ever again.

Aside from "Sins Past", I think the writing started getting really poor a little more than a year into the run. Having Aunt May find out Peter's identity was another ridiculous JMS blunder. Also, the guy can't write dialogue to save his life - like Bendis, all the characters speak with the same wise-cracking voice. Aunt May's dialogue sounds like stuff that Peter could be saying and vice-versa. Also, the JRJR art during much of the JMS run was some of the most atrocious art ever seen in mainstream comics. I have pointed out numerous specific examples in previous posts (issues, pages & specific panels), so I won't rehash that here. I'd just as soon forget the entire run.

As far as I'm concerned, the "real" ASM ended with issue #297 or so (yes, I despise the idiotic McFarlane run as well and Venom, one of the most juvenile & moronic characters ever created - for the umpteenth time, brain-eating alien symbiote costumes do not belong in the humanistic Spidey universe) and everything that has come since has been one big alternate universe story that's seen a few highs and a lot of lows. frustrated.gif

I actually liked Aunt May finding out about Spidey..it was just as believable as Aunt May marrying Doc Ock.

However, the "Sins Past" storyline completely sucked any life out of the entire JMS run. For me the whole Magic( Eziekel, Morlun) origin plot of Spidey is rather lame also. Spidey's SA origin stands on it's own without the need for a modern update.

I'm not a big spider-man fan and since I have never watched babylon 5, i don't know stracyznski past. I don't think he's that solid of a comic writer, maybe he could write a tv show, but i'm not impressed.

lol, I choose not to get too involved in this thread. JC knows my response to this thumbsup2.gif

Come on Hobby.. Would like to know your thoughts!

I personally didn't mind the Sins Past storyline. Of course, I just came back to comics at about ASM #506 or so, so anything that happened prior, I don't really have much knowledge of. So, the Gwen Stacy's children deal was pretty new to me and I thought it was a cool twist. I also liked the Gray Goblin sighting late in the arc, and I'm hoping to see more of him soon, but I somewhat doubt that will happen.

I also didn't mind the Sins Past arc. I thought it added a bit of depth to Gwen's character, albeit negative. I must admit, I really thought the children goblin thing (Gray Goblin) was pretty lame. I really liked the female Stacy-Osborn and the advanced aging issue. Just me though.

I also liked that May found out about his alter-ego. I mean, come on, how many years could it go on without her finding out. To me, it felt like a necessary development that should have occurred years ago.

That being said, he has been very bland in the last year. I'm surprised as I expected a lot more. I really thought the Hydra return-to-power would have been a lot better. It was super lame and the Hydra Avengers were just straight corny.

I would imagine a lot of the lack luster performance in the last year is relative to taking on Fantastic Four and his other Marvel books. In that instance, I would prefer a different Spider-man writer. Wouldn't surprise me if that happens in the next year.

Pat

I also liked that May found out about his alter-ego. I mean, come on, how many years could it go on without her finding out. To me, it felt like a necessary development that should have occurred years ago.

I totally disagree with this, and I remember an interview with Stan Lee where he said that the relationship between Peter and Aunt May, the balancing act that required him to be Spider-man without her knowing, was probably the most important ingredient to the longevity of Spider-man character.

It's NOT about real life where Aunt May would have found out about 10 issues in, it's fantasy comic book. If everyone close to Pete knows he's Spidey, it removes a great deal of natural conflict and excitement from the comic.

I totally disagree with this, and I remember an interview with Stan Lee where he said that the relationship between Peter and Aunt May, the balancing act that required him to be Spider-man without her knowing, was probably the most important ingredient to the longevity of Spider-man character.

It's NOT about real life where Aunt May would have found out about 10 issues in, it's fantasy comic book. If everyone close to Pete knows he's Spidey, it removes a great deal of natural conflict and excitement from the comic.

Oh my God! I agree with JC! 893whatthe.gif Quick, shoot me... sorry.gif

I loved the first 12 issues or so. Morlun was a really nice villain. He just seem to lose steam toward the end. The Gwen thing I could care less about. She's dead shes been dead forever and will stay dead.(Hopefully) So she was a whore could care less. Marvel spits all over its continuity and has so since Shooter left in the early 80s. Nothing suprises me anymore. The House of Ideas has become the House of Gimmicks. Glad to see DC showing them how its done lately. I think about going to shows with a brown bag saying previous Marvel Zombie now.

27_laughing.gif

I'm not a big spider-man fan and since I have never watched babylon 5, i don't know stracyznski past. I don't think he's that solid of a comic writer, maybe he could write a tv show, but i'm not impressed.

Babylon 5, probably the best written si-fi series of all time from my point of view. Strong characterization with very deep and involved storylines. Not too surprising since JMS had a 5-year story line planned out in advance and he personally wrote over 90% of the episodes. Not like other si-fi series which were written by multiple writers with slightly different takes on the characters.

Now as for ASM, not really sure since I did not read the Sins Past storyline myself. Certainly does not sound good since Gwen was always one of my favourite characters and this goes completely against her character as depicted in the past. My question here is: who was the editor in charge here and why did they not put a stop to this travesty before it took place? foreheadslap.gif

I guess I really shouldn't be asking questions to which I already know the answer. Insanely stupid storyline to spike short-term sales and who gives a flying hoot about long-time collectors or impact on sales a year from now. When that time comes, we'll just come out with another storyline such as Aunt May being a hooker in her younger days. Oh, I guess they've already done that storyline a couple of years ago. 27_laughing.gif

My question here is: who was the editor in charge here and why did they not put a stop to this travesty before it took place? foreheadslap.gif

Per Quesada, JMS approached him with the story. Quesada wasn't sure until he asked of couple of Marvel flunkies what they thought. They were appalled. Quesada then knew it was the perfect story to tell and gave JMS the green light... insane.gif

Hell of a way to run an editorial division screwy.gif...

Jim

Per Quesada, JMS approached him with the story. Quesada wasn't sure until he asked of couple of Marvel flunkies what they thought. They were appalled. Quesada then knew it was the perfect story to tell and gave JMS the green light... insane.gif

Yeah, I remember reading that, and thinking... "What if JMS came to Joe Q's office with "make Peter Parker a child molester", "the Spider-Rapist at Large!", or "have Spidey and the Punisher engage in an open homosexual relationship" proposals".

I bet the Bullpen would be appalled as well, and JMS would be given the green light? WTF?