• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Light Test for Vintage Cards
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hey All,

I’m new to vintage collecting and have stumbled upon the flashlight test to verify if cards are authentic. Just curious if anybody knows if CSG/CGC performs this simple test for authenticity (assume there is much more sophisticated technology than this). Reason I ask is, I got 3 Mantles graded (‘59, ‘63, ‘66) by CSG yet none pass the light test. Appreciate any insight! 

Hello jgresham07,

I can't speak to the testing that CGC conducts to authenticate cards they receive.  But in my opinion, when it comes verifying authentic vintage, doing a light test in combination with other tests (such as looking at the card's print patterns with a loupe, etc) is always best.  As for the light test, the Topps 1959 set is an exception. A light will shine through the cards in the set because of their lighter paper stock. It’s also possible that a few authentic cards will fail a light test if a different supply of paper was needed at the time of printing.  So definitely always do multiple types of tests to verify authentic vintage cards.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the feedback!

I just ordered a magnifying set with lights to start looking at the print patterns. problem is, I don’t know what I’m looking for to see what was printed originally vs. a fake. What are the tell-tell signs of authentic printing from the ‘50’s and ‘60’s Topps cards?

very much appreciate your support!