• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help selling a collection
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hi there,

Great post. This is my first day here AND my first response. Soo, short and sweet...On July 11th 2022 I fell out of my truck and broke my neck. 2 titanium rods and 10 screws later I'm sort of getting around. I'm still 100% disabled but getting around. (with help) Back in the early to mid 90's I was talked into collecting comics and sports cards. So I did. What I was really drawn towards was the cover art. I didn't know anything about condition grading etc. If I was attracted to the book I bought it. Here we are 30 yrs later and I'm in a financial situation where I need to sell. Can you all help me? I realize grading is important but what do I need to do to get the most money for my books? Any help is most appreciated. Joe 

Not knowing anything about what you collected ??? is going to be a hurdle for sure. It doesn’t sound like you are in a situation where you want to go through the hassle of taking pics, assessing grades, packing then shipping dozens and dozens of packages (which is where you’d max out value). 

To make it simpler, I’d suggest you start by creating a list of every comic you own. Don’t worry about anything else for now, just inventory. Then post it here and we can tell you if you have anything of value (say worth $50+). After that we can worry about condition, where to sell, etc. 

Everything worth under that isn’t going to be worth your time anyway. Selling the rest in bulk to a comic shop or collection buyer for a flat price will be your best - and likely only - bet. 

First I'd kinda provide a ballpark of what you have and how much of it you have, and maybe a bit of how it was stored.

The answers will vary greatly depending on what you've got and how much and possibly the condition.

But very generally, you can look up "Sold" prices on ebay to get a very general idea of how much comics are being sold for.

Ultimately, it might be a situation depending on your health status where you can send your comics to a local or national dealer and have them sold on consignment (obviously for a fee).  

But it depends.

Welcome To The Boards!!! :banana:

As others have stated it all depends on what books you have and what condition they are in.

I have some experience in this as a private seller, I am also selling a collection, they are my Son's books from when he started collecting in 98, many are books from the 80's that I bought new and I gave to him.

I have been selling bits and pieces of his 2000 book collection for 2 years now (200-300 books for approx. $3000.00) and the keys are mostly gone, however, there are still 1500 books remaining, most of which are dollar bin books, I listed them for sale at $900.00 (.60 cents a book) for the entire lot and no real takers as of yet, I have had offers from dealers as low as 2 cents a book to as high as 25 cents a book, I also received an offer of $500.00 which was declined by my Son. Originally, before selling any of the books I contacted MCS and they said most of these books are not needed/wanted and to check their want list for books they wanted and the price they will pay (pennies on the dollar).

Facebook Groups (that allow sales) and Facebook Marketplace are another option (I would suggest local pickup only for a larger collection), with scammers I would only accept PayPal Goods and Services or Cash (No Venmo or Zelle) and meet at a public place, my 20 year old Grandson sells gym stuff, motorcycle stuff, computer stuff and all transactions are done during the day at the Police Station.

I am not in your situation however and do not need to sell ASAP which makes your situation different.

Here is a list of some of the Marvel books from the 80's/90's that I am aware of that are hot/in demand/keys, even just a list of what you have would be helpful.

Marvel Super-Hero Secret Wars Vol 1 issues 1-12 as a lot ($150.00) or 1 and 8, ASM 210, 238, 252, 298, 299, 300, 316, 360-362, 430, 431, Annual 16, Avengers Annual 10, Daredevil 158,163,168, Incredible Hulk 271, Silver Surfer Vol 2  issue 44, Spider-Man 1 (1990) Walmart Edition (Gold Cover with a Bar Code) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1, Transformers 1, 80 (issues 1-9 were reprinted, 71 - 79 were low print runs), Uncanny X-Men 129-140, 266, Wolverine Limited Series 1

Wishing You The Best Of Luck In Your Endeavor. :wishluck: (thumbsu