• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a 9.8?
5 5

43 posts in this topic

On 9/21/2023 at 4:26 PM, WolverineX said:

I know dude.  But comiclink doesn't take returns for their auctions so not sure what I can do.  

Comiclink does not provide pics of the back covers thus seems like you have a legit beef.

My opinion is call them up raise a huge fuss. Start a thread here in the General sub-forum with Comiclink in title. Mention how they failed to disclose all the information regarding condition and did not provide a pic of the back cover which clearly would have shown the damage, and use the thread to chart the progress with them. Mention to them the community is watching

If you paid by credit card immediately open a dispute with your card issuer. You may need to explain slowly and in detail and try not to get upset as the calmer you are with the representative the more they will be willing to help and escalate.  Alternately you can mention to Comiclink you will open a dispute unless they make good. A not generally known fact is a merchant must pay for each dispute filed against them. Win or lose the merchant pays. Depending on cost of the item and the volume of business the merchant does with Visa card for example, the dispute costs may be higher than simply giving a refund. Although given the cost of pretty much any slabbed book it wont be the case here.

Others here may offer  better opinions but at the crux of the issue is Comiclink not showing pics of back books they sell is tantamount to deceit.

Good luck man!

P.S. Given it is most certainly not "shaken comic syndrome" CGC may also have some explaining to do  @CGC Mike

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/21/2023 at 4:33 PM, MAR1979 said:

Comiclink does not provide pics of the back covers thus seems like you have a legit beef.

My opinion is call them up raise a huge fuss. Start a thread here in the General sub-forum with Comiclink in title. Mention how they failed to disclose all the information regarding condition and did not provide a pic of the back cover which clearly would have shown the damage, and use the thread to chart the progress with them. Mention to them the community is watching

If you paid by credit card immediately open a dispute with your card issuer. You may need to explain slowly and in detail and try not to get upset as the calmer you are with the representative the more they will be willing to help and escalate.  Alternately you can mention to Comiclink you will open a dispute unless they make good. A not generally know fact is a merchant must pay for each dispute filed against them. Win or lose the merchant pays. Depending on cost of the item and the volume of business the merchant does with Visa card for example, the dispute costs may be higher than simply giving a refund. Although given the cost of pretty much any slabbed book it wont be the case here.

Others here may offer  better opinions but at the crux of the issue is Comiclink not showing pics of back books they sell is tantamount to deceit.

Good luck man!

P.S. Given it is most certainly not "shaken comic syndrome" CGC may also have some explaining to do  @CGC Mike

Good thoughts.  I already emailed comiclink yesterday.  Will see what they say when they respond back to me.  

A little late to this, but I've seen these marks fairly regularly on modern books. I call them 'staple stress', but I'm not sure what the actual term is, if there is one. If I had to guess I'd say it's rub caused by stacking during shipping, and the pressure of the books on top causes 'hot spots' where the ends of the staples are turned back in (since the book is ever slightly thicker at the staples)--I believe if the staples are rounded in, it can make these little hot spots. Could be way off, of course, but if that is the case, CGC seems to be pretty lenient in my experience, as they often are with stuff that happens during shipping (like spine wear from the spine rubbing against the interior divider during shipping, for another example).

Maybe not a 9.8 for most people, but in a lottt of cases--again, just based on what I've seen--this book will often get a 9.8 if everything else is good. These hot spots are very common on Ultimate Fallout 4, for example, a book with like a billion 9.8's. Check out scans of the 9.8's of that book and you'll see this defect pretty consistently. CGC seems to lump in a lot of shipping defects as manufacturing defects, which generally don't affect the grade under 9.9 unless they accumulate or are glaringly bad. Not to everyone's agreement, for sure, but that's how they do, from what I've seen/heard.

No matter what anyone else says, 9.8's aren't perfect (and neither is CGC). 9.8's are ultimately the product of subjective decisions no matter how you slice it or how 'objective' you might try to be about it--in the end it's just a number, and if that makes you happy, I wouldn't worry about a little spine rub on the back. But if that spine rub and having the appearance of a flawless book matters more, definitely look for another one! Ultimately it's about what you want. Is that book 9.8? Well, someone at CGC thought it was. Is it what someone else thinks is 9.8? (shrug) One person's 9.8 is another person's 9.0 or 9.2, just as one person's 5.5 is another person's 'HIGH GRADE!' on eBay.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

Just to follow up.  It seems like these are considered to be manufacturing defects.

CGC kindly told me to send this book in for review and it seems like they have already sent it back without any response.  My assumption is that it stayed a 9.8.   Will confirm next week when I get it back.

Btw, comiclink never responded to my 3 emails about this.  

On 10/6/2023 at 1:06 PM, WolverineX said:

Just to follow up.  It seems like these are considered to be manufacturing defects.

CGC kindly told me to send this book in for review and it seems like they have already sent it back without any response.  My assumption is that it stayed a 9.8.   Will confirm next week when I get it back.

If this is the case, then CGC needs to put out an official statement or something to that effect.  For years I have been downgrading raw comics I sell for what I am almost certain is NOT a production defect, but poor stacking/shipping...which to me isn't part of production.  If it was production, every comic would have this defect, not just some.  My opine, of course, but I feel pretty strong about this.  CGC's grading criteria keeps changing it seems like, but mine hasn't. Lol.

Anyway, it doesn't matter to me about comics graded high with this 'defect'.  I don't sub anymore, so I'm unaffected...except with raws I sell.  I wouldn't buy a slabbed comic that looked like the OP's original post.  It looks like hell. :)

Edited by Galen130

On 10/6/2023 at 12:06 PM, WolverineX said:

I find they respond best when called.

On 10/6/2023 at 12:15 PM, Galen130 said:

If this is the case, then CGC needs to put out an official statement or something to that effect.  For years I have been downgrading raw comics I sell for what I am almost certain is NOT a production defect, but poor stacking/shipping...which to me isn't part of production.  If it was production, every comic would have this defect, not just some.  My opine, of course, but I feel pretty strong about this.  CGC's grading criteria keeps changing it seems like, but mine hasn't. Lol.

Anyway, it doesn't matter to me about comics graded high with this 'defect'.  I don't sub anymore, so I'm unaffected...except with raws I sell.  I wouldn't buy a slabbed comic that looked like the OP's original post.  It looks like hell. :)

I think that’s just your anger speaking haha. Not all paper is the same, not all printing presses are the same, some don’t work perfectly all the time. Several reasons a particular book may have a defect like this, while others come out with no issues. Don’t think you can apply a one size fits all in this scenario. But if it makes you feel better, than sure, all books should have this issue lol.

On 10/6/2023 at 3:19 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I think that’s just your anger speaking haha. Not all paper is the same, not all printing presses are the same, some don’t work perfectly all the time. Several reasons a particular book may have a defect like this, while others come out with no issues. Don’t think you can apply a one size fits all in this scenario. But if it makes you feel better, than sure, all books should have this issue lol.

Thank you, Dr. Phil.