• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Fantastic Four DVD Ad

74 posts in this topic

Now, a guy that I work with has been on Netflix for almost 3 years and he always "keeps the line moving." He has almost 1,500 DVD copies. I think it's some sort of OCD thing... more about the process than the movies themselves. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have a friend who does the exact same thing. He has copied far more DVDs than he would ever watch in a lifetime. It's totally an OCD thing, much like collecting comics.

...and much cheaper.... cloud9.gif

Now, a guy that I work with has been on Netflix for almost 3 years and he always "keeps the line moving." He has almost 1,500 DVD copies. I think it's some sort of OCD thing... more about the process than the movies themselves. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have a friend who does the exact same thing. He has copied far more DVDs than he would ever watch in a lifetime. It's totally an OCD thing, much like collecting comics.

Yea, costs about $2.40 per movie with rental + blank DVD + jewl case, and that's with high quality DVD's.

True.

But trying selling computer made DVD copies in 5 years... not much of a return on investment. tongue.gif

Basically, they occupy space in the home until they day they are thrown out.

Then they will occupy space in a landfill until the day the sun winks out and this planet becomes a frozen rock drifting through space.

the day the sun winks out and this planet becomes a frozen rock drifting through space.

Kind of makes me wonder why I bother with Mylar, micro paper, boards, boxes, etc... for my comics.

The main reason I like DVD's is for TV shows that I'm not willing to sit through commercials to watch over a 22 week period. A show like "Lost" (just got it on DVD) has about 8 hours of commercials. I'm not willing to watch 8 hours of commercials. I watch all my TV via DVD. Smallville, 24, The 4400, Alias, etc..... When the next season comes out I also like to be able to watch the last show from the previous season because I can never remember what happened a year ago.

the day the sun winks out and this planet becomes a frozen rock drifting through space.

Kind of makes me wonder why I bother with Mylar, micro paper, boards, boxes, etc... for my comics.

The main reason I like DVD's is for TV shows that I'm not willing to sit through commercials to watch over a 22 week period. ...

This is why I LOVE Tivo. Zipping through a commercial break in 7 seconds makes commercials pretty painless.

I watch nothing in real time. cloud9.gif

The main reason I like DVD's is for TV shows that I'm not willing to sit through commercials to watch over a 22 week period. ...

This is why I LOVE Tivo. Zipping through a commercial break in 7 seconds makes commercials pretty painless.

I watch nothing in real time. cloud9.gif

cloud9.gif

Yea, costs about $2.40 per movie with rental + blank DVD + jewl case, and that's with high quality DVD's.

I call it the comic rehabilitation program. 27_laughing.gif

I'm on the netflix 8 at a time program...I use 1ClickDVD to rip and standard 4gb DVD media....$50 a month....about .25 per DVD, .30 for a DVD label, and I buy a huge case that holds 300+ DVDs at a time (cheaper and more space efficient than jewel cases)....movies rent for less than $1 each (the DVDs are in the mail by next day)...and the time I use to burn the DVDs is time I'm not spending on expensive comics....win win.

Media used to cost $1 per DVD but that's down about 75%...very cost effective.

Tivo rocks...haven't had the chance to get the movies back to my laptop for away viewing yet though. I'm tinkering around with networking my movie library so I can view it through a connected media pc to any LCD I have in the house. My house is ill equipped for many of my proposed technological projects I have..my next house will have a movie room.

cloud9.gif

Your comments about watching via DVD highlights how the media world is changing. Eventually all of the content will be purchased and on demand, which will make up for revenue lost from advertising. I see the model changing drastically in the upcoming years...the music world is ahead of the curve on this movement.

I save at least 2+ hours a week by watching via Tivo and skipping the commercials.

I'm on the netflix 8 at a time program...I use 1ClickDVD to rip and standard 4gb DVD media....$50 a month....about .25 per DVD, .30 for a DVD label, and I buy a huge case that holds 300+ DVDs at a time (cheaper and more space efficient than jewel cases)....movies rent for less than $1 each (the DVDs are in the mail by next day)...and the time I use to burn the DVDs is time I'm not spending on expensive comics....win win.

Tivo rocks...haven't had the chance to get the movies back to my laptop for away viewing yet though. I'm tinkering around with networking my movie library so I can view it through a connected media pc to any LCD I have in the house. My house is ill equipped for many of my proposed technological projects I have..my next house will have a movie room.

cloud9.gif

I buy old VHS movies from a place near my house for $1.50 a pop. I absolutely LOVE dead technology. I have hundreds and hundreds of analog tapes, records, VHS tapes, NES and Super NES games, and PS1 discs. The stuff is almost as good (sometimes better) and it can be had for 1/10th the cost. While people spend $400 on X-Box 360, I have MORE fun playing Castlevania: Symphony of the Night or Final Fantasy 1. While a person drops $15 on a DVD at Best Buy, I pick up the same one on VHS for under $2. It works for me and leaves plenty of money for comics.

I would love to get into the DVD burning thing, but I just don't know where to start.

cloud9.gif

I buy old VHS movies from a place near my house for $1.50 a pop. I absolutely LOVE dead technology. I have hundreds and hundreds of analog tapes, records, VHS tapes, NES and Super NES games, and PS1 discs. The stuff is almost as good (sometimes better) and it can be had for 1/10th the cost. While people spend $400 on X-Box 360, I have MORE fun playing Castlevania: Symphony of the Night or Final Fantasy 1. While a person drops $15 on a DVD at Best Buy, I pick up the same one on VHS for under $2. It works for me and leaves plenty of money for comics.

I would love to get into the DVD burning thing, but I just don't know where to start.

Get a program called Nero (for the burning) and i use a program called DVD shrink 3.2 for copying a DVD onto my PC so that i can then burn it onto a blank DVD.

Also so I can see TV shows before they come out here (Lost, family guy etc) i use a program called bit comet to download the whole season in a oner.

Buy this.

Buy some of these and these.

I know what you're saying "Why buy 8x DVD's when I have a 16x burner?" Because if you go here you'll read about how you can burn 8x DVD's at 16x with the burner you just bought from Newegg.

Download this.

Read this.

Open an account here.

Now you're in business.