• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Ross $9.8M at auction

42 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2023 at 9:46 AM, Bronty said:

I guess.   There was a lot of rapid inflation in the 70s so maybe between inflation and being very early in his career, it would be possible.

Just kind of shocking at that's literally 1/10 of what people were being paid 15 years later.

During that period, I had a boss apologize for giving me a 10% raise (I'd been at the company 6 months) because it was so low.

That should give you a feel for inflation at the time. By 1984, when we bought our house, the going home mortgage was 14%. I was able to assume a small first mortgage at 8% and my seller financed the balance at 12%. That might provide some context as well.

On 10/17/2023 at 11:13 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I'd love to take you to a major art museum, like the Art Institute of Chicago or the Met in NYC.  After spending an afternoon looking at those works with someone that can share some knowledge about them, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't feel the same way.  It really isn't about "artsy people".  It's about something much, much more. 

The fact that most people lack literacy doesn't mean reading is a waste of time.  2c

I've been to both of those art museums (more than once). I've spent a lot of time in art museums. Whenever I travel, art museums are the first thing on my list to go to.

In London, I've been to the National Gallery and the Tate.

In Paris, I've been to The Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Musee de l'Orangerie, and others.

In Dublin, the National Gallery of Ireland.

In Prague, the National Gallery and the Mucha Museum.

In Copenhagen, the SMK.

I've been to most of the major art museums in the United States; NYC, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, Dallas, Atlanta, San Francisco, Milwaukee, Phoenix, and I'm guessing others I'm forgetting.

Art is a significant part of my life. You're not the only one with knowledge of art and art history. Perhaps there are those with opinions on art and the "art scene" that simply aren't in agreeance with your own.

Edited by KingOfRulers