• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bob Ross $9.8M at auction

42 posts in this topic

On 9/22/2023 at 10:40 AM, Bronty said:

somebody actually bought that?   I hope that's on the up and up.   I guess its possible.

No, they didn't, not according to the gallery's website and every other news source aside from the usually reliable NY POST (insert sarcasm emoji here). 
So, we might need some corroboration given that the NY Post story was from three days ago and every other news source has more recent articles and references to the gallery having it for sale at that number (not at auction, again...thank you NY Post) as recently as yesterday. 

https://modernartifact.com/collections/bob-ross/products/bob-ross-signed-on-air-original-painting-from-season-1-episode-1-of-the-joy-of-painting-1

ScreenShot2023-09-23at10_56_32AM.thumb.png.1daecc6aacff3a58a6f780bd081908c2.png

On 9/23/2023 at 9:29 AM, 1950's war comics said:

i was astounded everytime i watched his show back then, he made it look so easy !

And he had a completed oil painting within 25 minutes. 

If Frazetta actually said that Bob "over works the painting", he should have realized that would not be plausible given the time constraint.

On 9/23/2023 at 3:26 PM, Cliff R. said:

And he had a completed oil painting within 25 minutes. 

If Frazetta actually said that Bob "over works the painting", he should have realized that would not be plausible given the time constraint.

Pretty sure Frazetta's comment wasn't about time spent.  It was about lack of focus or attention to detail for the work.  Ross treated all parts of the canvas with the same amount of detail.  There is no focus, nothing he was trying to communicate.  He was just making a landscape, and not very well at that.

I think a pretty strong argument could be made that Bob Ross didn't understand light very well, either.  Apparently, this planet has multiple suns and some very confusing flora (I don't know what that thing at the bottom right is but it's not a plant that grows on Earth).

bob-ross-wilderness-way.thumb.jpg.2de20cd968d9f85cecde174e2138cd80.jpg

On 9/23/2023 at 10:57 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Pretty sure Frazetta's comment wasn't about time spent.  It was about lack of focus or attention to detail for the work.  Ross treated all parts of the canvas with the same amount of detail.  There is no focus, nothing he was trying to communicate.  He was just making a landscape, and not very well at that.

I think a pretty strong argument could be made that Bob Ross didn't understand light very well, either.  Apparently, this planet has multiple suns and some very confusing flora (I don't know what that thing at the bottom right is but it's not a plant that grows on Earth).

bob-ross-wilderness-way.thumb.jpg.2de20cd968d9f85cecde174e2138cd80.jpg

I think Bob Ross created some beautiful works of art. That particular piece, I wouldn't call anywhere among my favorites, however all artists have their hits and misses.

I love Ross' mountains and lakes/rivers pieces the most. Coincidentally, I just watched a Bob Ross episode a few nights ago, and he painted a mountain scene. I thought it was fantastic.

The fact that he was able to create such works in 25-30 minutes makes it even more amazing. The technique to be able to create such lovely work so quickly is mind-blowing for me. Classical painters from centuries past could spend weeks or months to create similar looking pieces.

Ross' speedmanship is something that our legendary comic artists of the Golden Age and Silver Age wish they could do as they were paid by the page. Jack Kirby came up with his quintessential look and style for the sake of speed. It was a distinctive, bold look that he could produce quickly. He was creating roughly 2 pages per day. Given an unlimited amount of time and creative freedom, Kirby's work would look completely different. I bet he would've loved to have been able to produce 1 page every 30 minutes like Ross did with his paintings. Even 1 page every couple hours would've doubled his output.

Edited by KingOfRulers