• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest PGX scam/incompetence brought forth to market...
1 1

23 posts in this topic

On 9/25/2023 at 4:26 AM, Math Teacher said:

Could you please elaborate about the Ewert fiasco? This was before I joined the boards in 2018. Thank you!

Jason Ewert was caught and banned by CGC for micro-trimming many books back in the mid 2000's.  From my understanding, books from his submissions were later identified through barcodes and attempted to be pulled from the market.  He has not been heard from since, but I have to believe he is still around practicing his shenanigans somewhere (shrug)

The thread that namisgr provided is a good link to get more detailed info on all that transpired and how he was caught.  

On 9/25/2023 at 1:36 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

My gut instincts tell me that micro-trimming is still getting through easily. They would not have caught Ewert if before and after pics of some of the books hadn't surfaced.

I would not be surprised if micro-color touch is getting through as well.

I'm not sure how easily, but I have to agree with you on some books still being micro-trimmed and getting through.  I've seen a few silver age CGC and raw comics over the years that have made me pause, take a closer discerning look, and scratch my head wondering if Ewert or others of his trade are still performing devious works of deception.  I can't believe he just stopped cold turkey hm