• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What (if any) are the Holy Grails of the Atlas/Seaboard line?

26 posts in this topic

On 9/26/2023 at 12:37 AM, Jayman said:

What I find interesting is that the first issue of the Brute (1975) is an exact rip off of the 1970 film Trog starring Joan Crawford. Don’t take my word for it, watch the movie then read the comic. Same story!

IMG_2246.jpeg

IMG_2245.jpeg

Had a look at the wikis.

There are similarities.

Looking back, and having bought the books when they came out, I concur with the general sentiment that the stories and art weren't especially compelling and it was no great loss when the fledgling company went belly-up.  I also wouldn't call any of the books holy grails, but there are a few that are harder to find in top shape than others.

The Western title is one of them.

WesternAction1.thumb.jpg.35b65ce820e666767471a6726bbb3a35.jpg

On 9/26/2023 at 12:39 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Had a look at the wikis.

There are similarities.

Especially the beginning sequence where the explorer finds him in the cave. The comic took that almost frame by frame exactly from the movie. The only main difference is that the Brute does not die at the end (obviously).

On 9/25/2023 at 9:57 AM, Cman429 said:

The fact no title lasted more than 4 issues is probably why they didn’t catch on back then. Hard to get invested in something that gets cancelled a few months in. They’re comic nerd obscurities as far as collectibles go - like the people who collect monkey covers or Archie comics with B&V in bikinis.

They’re fairly worthless as I’ve put together a good size run and paid $5 (or less) for each. Occasionally you find a dope on Mycomicshop or a IG sale asking $20 for one but nobody ever pays that. There’s no demand because your selling to a tiny tiny miniscule audience.

As for movies/tv, the comic boom is almost dead anyway. And we lived through it and didn’t get anything from Image or Valiant (except that one unwatchable Vin Diesel movie) and those universes were infinitely more popular and cohesive.  

A reminder that not only was Bloodshot terrible, it was released March 13, 2020, the day the world closed because of COVID.