• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Slight Detour from Comic Art: Where Has Original Album Cover Art Ended Up? (i.e., Derek Riggs, Ed Repka, etc)
1 1

83 posts in this topic

On 10/4/2023 at 4:52 PM, vodou said:

From what I’ve read, Cheap Thrills sold for $75,000 at Sotheby's 1978. To Phil Knight (Nike). 

Damn that's a big number in 1978

I get that ;) but DAMN.    Chuck sells the MH Action 1 for less than that at the time.

I can't imagine that 75k wouldn't have bought any single piece of comic art in existence at the time, as well. 

Edited by Bronty

Oh man, thanks for all the great links and HA data. That Boston cover is great - and Whitesnake seems to be a pretty sweet deal with only one day left to go. Will be interesting to see where that one ends up.

I'd like to know where the cover art to In the Court of the Crimson King is? The original open mouth screaming face cover. The artist, Barry Godber,  died after he handed in the art. He was 24.

I just found out the answer to my own question. Robert Fripp owns the artwork.

I attended the Gerald Scarfe exhibit at The San Francisco Art Exchange. Some fantastic artwork. I was also sent a catalogue of his art the SFAE was selling for him. The pieces that interested me was way out of my range.

I have been to a number of exhibits at SFAE including of Hipgnosis who did many of the Pink Floyd album covers plus other groups the worked with like The Rolling Stones and Syd Barrett. Some prelims of covers but alot of photos including the collage to  A Saucerful of Secrets Album which included Dr Strange.

One of my visits I saw the original pencil drawings for the Dark Side of The Moon cover. 

Asking was 1,000,000. 

SFAE also had a set of 6 Outtakes From The "Abbey Road" Album Cover printed by the original photographer.

SFAE years back was selling the original art by Vargas to Candy-O cover for the Cars album.

image.png

On 10/4/2023 at 4:40 PM, Bronty said:

That's a good one.   From the end of the article:   "Fig.2. The original framed painting  (The size of the painting is smaller than you would initially expect, namely 15" x 28" inches). It was sold for US$350.000,- at a Miami exhibit back in 2008."

A couple of Boardies saw it for sale at Art Basel Miami that year, which is where it sold. 

On 10/4/2023 at 4:43 PM, vodou said:

:whatthe: Wish I would have known about that sale! :facepalm: 

The original cover art to Quiet Riot's Metal Health sold in 2021 for $44.8K (I didn't hear about it until after the auction ended). 

"QUIET RIOT" STAN WATTS SIGNED "METAL HEALTH" ORIGINAL ALBUM COVER ARTWORK (WITH VINYL AND PHOTO) •

On 10/4/2023 at 4:29 PM, Bronty said:

Some fellow art & music lovers discussed this one when it was up for sale. The description is a bit misleading - it's Kelly's original concept for the album, but, it wasn't painted until shortly before his death.