• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Slight Detour from Comic Art: Where Has Original Album Cover Art Ended Up? (i.e., Derek Riggs, Ed Repka, etc)
1 1

83 posts in this topic

On 10/5/2023 at 8:04 PM, tth2 said:

The downside is there's so much Nagel art and it all looks basically the same. 

That is pretty accurate. But, like an AC/DC album, I love it all - despite how each one looks or sounds the same. lol

On 10/5/2023 at 8:20 PM, tth2 said:

Other album OA that would probably rank among the most valuable:

Beatles "Yellow Submarine" by Heinz Edelman

Kiss "Destroyer" by Ken Kelly

Black Sabbath "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" by Drew Struzan

David Bowie "Diamond Dogs" by Guy Peellaert

You bring up an interesting point - the valuation of significant album art. Unlike comic art, it doesn't get passed around or flipped (at least, I don't think it does) so market values on it have to be hard to determine. I think one of the things I really enjoy about comic art is that there is a lot of it accounted for and displayed - and a lot of data discussing the ones that have been destroyed. I think that's why it's such a strong market - it allows for people to enjoy, research and admire it actively.

The interesting grey area would be albums like Black Sabbath's self-titled album, 'Sabotage' or 'Paranoid' - which have photographic art that is more of an artistic darkroom creation than actual art - if those pieces ever survived the production process, or are sitting somewhere in a record company's morgue file.

On 10/6/2023 at 11:36 AM, Dr. Balls said:

You bring up an interesting point - the valuation of significant album art. Unlike comic art, it doesn't get passed around or flipped (at least, I don't think it does) so market values on it have to be hard to determine. I think one of the things I really enjoy about comic art is that there is a lot of it accounted for and displayed - and a lot of data discussing the ones that have been destroyed. I think that's why it's such a strong market - it allows for people to enjoy, research and admire it actively.

The interesting grey area would be albums like Black Sabbath's self-titled album, 'Sabotage' or 'Paranoid' - which have photographic art that is more of an artistic darkroom creation than actual art - if those pieces ever survived the production process, or are sitting somewhere in a record company's morgue file.

Agreed, although its not rocket science either.    Look at the info we've cobbled together on this thread alone just by turning 10 minutes of attention to it.    If any of us were deep into the realm I'm sure be able to speak to it that much more.   

Its certainly easier with comic art though if for no other reason than a large chunk of the market is centralized on heritage allowing for the free and permanent access to records - dates, pictures, amounts, etc.