• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X men 1991 1st series 1e misplace staple

5 posts in this topic

Hi

I'm new to the forum but would like some advice. I was going through my comic collection which I bought over 20 years ago and I had multiple copies of X-Men 1 vol.2 and on one particular copy I notice that the bottom staple was misplace. The bottom part was inserted properly into the middle but the top was placed diagonally onto the cover.

I'm curious how CGC would view this defect and would value any input from the community.

Thanks

DSCN2734.JPG

DSCN2738.JPG

DSCN2739.JPG

Edited by Keung

Welcome To The Boards!!!

Clear pics please, these are very blurry, also we need to see clear, full pics of the book (front cover, rear cover, centerfold) in order to tell you if that is a Bindery defect and how much, if any, it will affect the grade.

I, personally would not concern myself with the staple issue on this book since your particular book #1E had a print run of 1,954,100, total print run for the #1's was 8,186,500, only 172,000 were newsstand editions, the rest were all direct sales, these books are readily available for < $5.00.

There is no mention of "centered staples" until you get to NM 9.4 which reads..."Staples are generally centered;"

Technically this should be posted in the "https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/" section.

I also found this old thread...

As far as Bindery Defects go...

NM 9.4 - Subtle bindery/printing defects are allowed.

VF 8.0 to NM- 9.2 - A limited number of minor bindery/printing defects are allowed. 

FN/VF 7.0 - A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed.

Hi

thanks for the response and letting me know which section to post in. I will upload new and hopefully better pictures in the correct section as I have quite a few key issues that I acquired over 20 years ago to post.

Thanks again

Welcome to the boards. Things are very different than they were twenty years ago. Many books that were red hot in the nineties are near worthless these days, while some books that wallowed in the discount racks have taken off.

Hi shadroch

it is true things are a bit different but unfortunately not the speculation and variant craze which was the main reason I gave up collecting and sold my entire comic collection mid 90's. 

I did make some cheap purchase of some pretty high grade key silver and bronze age comics just after the market crash and then stopped as I picked up another expensive hobby namely Star Wars lego. So I have been pretty much missed out on the modern age.

Edited by kane7