• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pics from NYCC 2023 - Anyone take any?
1 1

61 posts in this topic

On 10/15/2023 at 1:43 PM, artdealer said:

“Wide-ringing knowledge of a dealer”….. Isn’t that an oxymoron?

It doesn’t take much knowledge to be a dealer. No dealer can tell what’s going to sell in the future, or even in the present. They think they can, but really all they are doing is pricing the art, throwing it against the wall to see if it …

Not knowledge. Greed/taking advantage.

I was thinking more about combinations of artists in different runs, in which there is a rough market out there, but no one happens to be a fan of Devil Dinosaur on that auction. In the follow up reports on auctions there then appear to be some good deals, according to the writers.

But, you obviously know better, and I have definitely seen some prices which wouldn’t stick even with glue on them.

On 10/15/2023 at 4:53 AM, tth2 said:

If a piece doesn't go for a strong price at an auction, then it was most likely won by a dealer and will be repriced much higher.  The chances these days of an even remotely desirable piece slipping through the cracks between both  collectors and dealers are slim. 

So the moral of the story is if that if a collector really wants a piece, then bid above what you think a dealer will bid, otherwise when it appears again it will be with a dealer and will have an even higher price tag stuck on it.

In this case, the artist took on an art rep who immediately told the artist to basically double all their prices. No art dealers or auctions involved. 

On 10/16/2023 at 7:54 AM, SuperBird said:

In this case, the artist took on an art rep who immediately told the artist to basically double all their prices. No art dealers or auctions involved. 

and unless the artist or the images on the artwork are in demand the artist will not sell much if overpriced. 

Edited by MAR1979

I'm hearing from a ton of people... friends, artists and reps, that prices were VERY strong in NYCC and cash was flowing.  Congrats to everyone who partook!  Going to be interesting to see how the next Heritage pricing unfolds.  Some awesome pieces in there!

On 10/17/2023 at 8:36 PM, Xatari said:

@delekkerste

Awesome pics! Looks like a good time. I love seeing pockets of collectors like this. It will be interesting to see if all these groups collide in Orlando comes January. Could be fun and interesting. 

I totally misread this as "I love seeing IN the pockets of collectors like this" but I think that would be really interesting too given the weight class in that room.  :flipbait:

On 10/19/2023 at 12:31 AM, Michael (OML)1 said:

I have it on very good authority that there is a second guy collecting golden age art.

That's actually just what dealers tell you so that you'll pay their prices. :fear: 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47n6tm55bzwqzks515wi 

Edited by delekkerste