• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MGM's THE WINTER KING: AN ARTHURIAN TALE (2023)

17 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2023 at 8:22 AM, Rob Frey said:

it is- it used to be called epix but rebranded.  they're about 6 episodes in first season. i am also enjoying it. nice to see fitz from "agents of shield" again.

Assuming the big streamers (Prime, etc.) are not picking this up? So another sign-up for yet another streamer? I, too, love Arthurian narratives.

On 10/9/2023 at 8:22 AM, Rob Frey said:

it is- it used to be called epix but rebranded.  they're about 6 episodes in first season. i am also enjoying it. nice to see fitz from "agents of shield" again.

That episode with the 'baby king's murder' seems fitting to the times.

Really good show.

I'm confused.

Given that Amazon bought MGM, wouldn't their library presumptively be available on Prime? Why the need for a separate MGM streaming platform?

I understand the Hulu / Disney+ split, because Hulu predated Disney+ by several years and was only co-owned by Disney to start.

How to watch The Winter King: stream the King Arthur show online

US: MGM Plus
UK: Not streaming yet, ITV1 & ITVX later
AU: Stan
VPN: ExpressVPN

The Winter King strips the fantasy of the tales and instead presents King Arthur's story as a historical one: we see Arthur as a returning warlord who was exiled from his Kingdom, Dumnonia, which is now threatened by the Saxons.

The show is based on The Warlord Chronicles, books by Bernard Cornwell, who also wrote the novels that were adapted into The Last Kingdom. So expect lots of battles, drama and murder. 

The first episode of The Winter King lands on the streamer on Sunday, August 20, and subsequent episodes arrive each week from then, until all 10 are out. Here's that full schedule: 

Episode 1 — Sunday, August 20
Episode 2 — Sunday, August 27
Episode 3 — Sunday, September 3
Episode 4 — Sunday, September 10
Episode 5 — Sunday, September 17
Episode 6 — Sunday, September 3
Episode 7 — Sunday, September 24
Episode 8 — Sunday, October 1
Episode 9 — Sunday, October 8
Episode 10 — Sunday, October 15

The Winter King is based on a trilogy of books by Bernard Cornwell, with the TV show named after the first novel. They're a retelling of the Arthur legends but combined with historical fiction, which Cornwell is known for, and the author has admitted that they're the favorites that he's written. Here are the three books:

• The Winter King
  • Enemy of God
  • Excalibur

The books follow a chronological story order so we'd recommend you read them in the above order.

On 10/9/2023 at 9:21 AM, Bosco685 said:

that schedule is not quite right. episode 6 dropped yesterday and the 7th will be next week. it appears that the show is "visible" on prime but they only allow you to see the 1st episode for free. you can only see the rest if you subscribe. they did the same thing with the show "From", which i highly recommend. i had to get the mgm+ service to watch the 2nd season!

On 10/9/2023 at 11:55 AM, Rob Frey said:

that schedule is not quite right. episode 6 dropped yesterday and the 7th will be next week. it appears that the show is "visible" on prime but they only allow you to see the 1st episode for free. you can only see the rest if you subscribe. they did the same thing with the show "From", which i highly recommend. i had to get the mgm+ service to watch the 2nd season!

It was just cool to find out they have 10 episodes planned for this show. I'll take it!

Here is what an updated site posted for latest schedule details.

Winter King episode release schedule

• Episode 1: August 20, 2023
  • Episode 2: August 27, 2023
  • Episode 3: September 17, 2023.
  • Episode 4: September 24, 2023
  • Episode 5: October 1, 2023
  • Episode 6: October 8, 2023
  • Episode 7: October 15, 2023
  • Episode 8: October 22, 2023
  • Episode 9: October 29, 2023
  • Episode 10: 5 November 2023

Episode 5 and 6 really helps move this story along. Though I like all so far. But an event at the end of 5 going into the next demonstrates how dedicated to justice Arthur truly is to protect the kingdom.

Don't read this if you haven't watched Episode 7 yet.

The Winter King Season 1 Episode 7 Recap: 6 Biggest Story Reveals

Spoiler

Arthur And Guinevere Get Married

Arthur may have been in torment over whether to marry Ceinwyn, but on the topic of Guinevere, he's remarkably clearheaded. After the Bishop leaves, Guinevere suggests she leaves too, and that there's still time to clear up the mess. Arthur then proposes to her, stating Gorfydd would never forgive her but if she's married to Arthur, she will have his protection and Dumnonia will also have to accept her. On the more romantic side of things, he says he won't lose her after just "finding" her.

After some back and forth, Guinevere accepts and the two are soon married with Derfel as a witness. While this is a happy development for both, their union is likely to be a controversial one on The Winter King, especially among Arthur's distracters. It could also lead to a civil war between kingdoms, as Gorfydd is not one to forgive.

These are some of my favorite books ever. I'll have to check out the show. 

For those who may not know, author Bernard Cornwell also wrote the Sharpe series which was adapted by the BBC back in the 90s with Sean Bean. 

This series for me is the best thing he's written, definitely better than Last Kingdom. 

Up to Episode 9 and I am liking this grittier interpretation of the Arthurian legend.

At times the king rushes to judgment, and has to learn the hard way how to overcome events without any "wish it away Merlin" fallbacks.

On 10/17/2023 at 9:13 AM, Crimebuster said:

These are some of my favorite books ever. I'll have to check out the show. 

For those who may not know, author Bernard Cornwell also wrote the Sharpe series which was adapted by the BBC back in the 90s with Sean Bean. 

This series for me is the best thing he's written, definitely better than Last Kingdom. 

I may check it out then as the Sharpe series was fun.

Episode 10 was okay, but I thought the dialogue sequences near the end of the episode were trying to speed up time in an  episode that could have been 30 minutes longer. Still, I would give this overall series an 8/10, and will continue to follow it once Season 2 arrives (assuming it's been picked up?).

On 11/6/2023 at 5:12 PM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Episode 10 was okay, but I thought the dialogue sequences near the end of the episode were trying to speed up time in an  episode that could have been 30 minutes longer. Still, I would give this overall series an 8/10, and will continue to follow it once Season 2 arrives (assuming it's been picked up?).

I agree some of the scenes in the latter part of the season were slow. But I have had a good time watching this series, and seeing the characters mature.

It's hard to say how I would feel about this show if I wasn't such a big fan of the books.

As a big fan of the books, though, now that I've watched the show I can say that the show is a horrible adaptation of the source material! 🤣

I got about halfway through the show before it turned to hate watching. And I've pretty much been fast forwarding through any scene that Dervel isn't in. 

I'm glad other people are liking it, though. Maybe it will get better if it gets a second season. And I'm glad for Cornwell and this series of books to get more attention. 🤷‍♂️