• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which CGC Sleeves to Buy?
3 3

33 posts in this topic

On 10/15/2023 at 7:09 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

No no no you don't want air tight, even slabs aren't air tight, but I had a feeling you were being playful, still nanananaNONo

big-bang-theory-sarcasm-sign.gif

Wonder what it would do to the slab internally hm Maybe I should buy a low grade drek book and test.

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

On 10/11/2023 at 8:20 PM, ELAVAL said:

Hello,

What are the best CGC sleeves to buy? Is there a big difference between a Hot Flips sleeve or a BCW sleeve? Any other suggestion.

Thank you for your help on this.

Mylar is king (Mylites or other brand) but E Gerber is the one that boasts their manufacturing process prevents the easy splitting of the mylar sides.

I just wish I could find Mylar sleeves for the older thinner CGC cases. They used to make them at one time but now I can only find the size that fits the new slabs.  The old ones look like they are swimming in the new mylites.

On 10/12/2023 at 8:24 AM, lostboys said:

The cheapest ones?

Seriously, guys...whats next?

A case to protect the sleeve that protects the case that protects the inner well that protects the book?

Generally most ppl put a bag/sleeve on their slabs so they don’t scratch it; as re-holdering a slab has its own complications and challenges. It’s way more convenient to replace a cheap bag. 

Edited by Krismusic

On 10/12/2023 at 4:12 PM, buttock said:

I use their bags which aren't mylar.  I think mylar scuffs too easily and splits easily as well.  

You might be right about no Mylar in the graded books now, but I was pretty sure the graded ones I bought a long time ago said Mylar I can’t find it on their current website it might have been old stock or something but a few did rip easily. I’m going to have to dig through my materials and see what the bag says.

On 10/15/2023 at 10:23 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Wonder what it would do to the slab internally hm Maybe I should buy a low grade drek book and test.

I think u should and write a report on it in 5 years and 10 years etc

On 10/16/2023 at 3:02 PM, Krismusic said:

Generally most ppl put a bag/sleeve on their slabs so they don’t scratch it; as re-holdering a slab has its own complications and challenges. It’s way more convenient to replace a cheap bag. 

Oh, sure...I do as well but im not gonna to pay more than the minimum for them.

On 10/16/2023 at 3:09 PM, Krismusic said:

You might be right about no Mylar in the graded books now, but I was pretty sure the graded ones I bought a long time ago said Mylar I can’t find it on their current website it might have been old stock or something but a few did rip easily. I’m going to have to dig through my materials and see what the bag says.

The ones from Clear Bags and also from Superior Fit are not Mylar. Instead they use BOPP which is Biaxially-Oriented PolyPropylene plastic.  It's similar to poly bags but structurally stronger, more scratch resistant, durable, and more transparent than the polypropylene bags from BCW or Bags Unlimited but still not as strong, thick, or as clear as Mylar. Mylar bags may tend to get scratched up but they protect the CGC case from scratches a bit more than from BOPP or regular poly.   I love the older Mylar bags used for the old, thinner CGC slabs.  Those fit perfectly on the thin slabs and I've tried looking all over for them but no one makes them anymore. (if you know of a source that still sells them, PM me.) Still, I prefer the look of Mylar, even if baggy, on all my slabs.  The BOPP bags still have a slightly cloudy and blueish hue to them and feel too flimsy.

For what we pay CGC should absolutely be shipping books in mylar bags AND return prescreen books that didn't make the cut in new mylar bags and boards for what we pay.  It sucks to receive prescreen rejects in trashed bags and boards often with the flap cut and a crappy CGC order sticker on every bag which renders them useless.  Often, they don't even return in the same mylite2 and fullback that I sent them in with.  So now I simply send them in normal polybags with 2 or 3 backboards.

Hey everybody, just giving this thread a bump to provide a review of a new product (new to me, at least) that I just bought and found to be better than any comic book sleeves I'd seen before.

I'd been looking for an alternative to the sleeves I'd been using for a couple of reasons ... mostly I was disappointed that they'd increased the size such that the sleeves were no longer as snug as they used to be.  But more than that, they were breaking down on me -- tearing easily even with what I would consider light handling and friction with adjacent books in storage.  They had adhesive flaps, but I was using tape to hold the flaps down and even that wasn't preventing the flaps from curling and bunching up and basically looking like a mess over time.

Prior to starting this thread, the OP had PM'd me asking for my opinion on what to buy, and that got my wheels turning so I decided to go on a little search.  Somehow I stumbled across a company called Superior Fit (www.superiorfitsleeves.com) that got great reviews online.  I reached out to the owner, Richard Black, and asked him for samples of three sizes:

Richard was extremely accommodating, and soon enough I was able to try the sleeves out on my books.  I was extremely happy with them for three reasons:

• The fit for each type of book was simply amazing.  Obviously the older, skinnier CGC slabs swim a little in the standard sleeves, but the new CGC slabs look incredible.
  • The plastic is extremely clear and bright, enhancing the overall presentation of the books.
  • They have a very innovative V-shaped flap (really it's a trapezoid) with an adhesive strip that runs right along the edge.  Once the flap is adhered in place, there is no loose plastic to catch against other books, and no need for extra tape.

Having found what I was looking for, I immediately called Richard back and ordered enough sleeves for my entire collection -- about 3,000 books in all.  It took me several weeks to convert all of my books, but it wasn't too bad -- I was able to go at a pretty good clip while sitting on phone calls or watching TV.  In the end it was worth it because the presentation with these sleeves is incredible.

Out of the entire collection, there were fewer than a dozen in extra-think CGC sleeves that wouldn't fit in the larger sleeves.  So I reached out to Richard again and sure enough, he had a solution for me:

I'm waiting on those to arrive but I'm sure they will do the job nicely and I will have the whole collection in these sleeves.

In short, I would highly recommend this product ... and in case you're wondering, I have no connection to the company or anything like that.  I just really think this is the best option available and I'm kinda shocked I had never heard of it before.

On 10/13/2023 at 6:34 PM, circuitryusa said:

Thanks guys for the suggestion! I just placed an order for the Mylites 2 on AMZN!

They will go perfect for my "safe queens" that I am not selling, ever...

Took me a minute to find them, so here is the exact title on AMZN if anyone else wants them...:smile:

E.Gerber Mylites 2 Mylar Sleeves 914M2 for CGC Graded Comics CGC/CBCS Comic Slabs 9 x 14-1/4 - Pack of 50

Holy poopah, these run for $67.50 for a pack of 50 in Canada. I think I will stick with the ones I am currently using and get for a small fraction of that price. 

Edited by Stefan_W

On 10/18/2023 at 1:30 PM, justafan said:

I love the older Mylar bags used for the old, thinner CGC slabs.  Those fit perfectly on the thin slabs and I've tried looking all over for them but no one makes them anymore. (if you know of a source that still sells them, PM me.)

Are you referring to the Diamond CGC bags from stores.ebay.com/CGC-Mylars?  hm

On 10/12/2023 at 2:45 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

For me having a snug fit is very important.  I had always bought Hot Flips resealable bags because they fit the books nicely, but more recently they changed to a slightly larger format and the books swim a bit in the looser bags.

Has anyone tried these bags from Superior Fit?  I was thinking of trying them out.

https://www.superiorfitsleeves.com/Superior-Fit-Sleeves-for-CGC-Comic-Book-Slabs-p/cgc-cb-001.htm

Not sure what kind they are but the ones with the snug fit are best. For some reason I usually get them with Voldy slabs that I have purchased. 

On 12/19/2023 at 2:58 PM, The Lions Den said:

Are you referring to the Diamond CGC bags from stores.ebay.com/CGC-Mylars?  hm

I just checked those out and the picture appears to show the baggier mylar bags now.  No indication on the ebay page whether they also sell the ones for the thinner generation 1 and 2 CGC slabs.