• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How about a Movie thread to discussion bloopers, editing mistakes, easter eggs, etc?
1 1

32 posts in this topic

I've been turned off by Hollywood for some time. Probably a decade or longer. 

I feel like they're more interested in social justice these days than creating entertainment and for that reason, I've been looking at most Hollywood movies with a much more critical eye. 

I tend to turn towards Indy and European content for entertainment these days, as they seem to be more faithful to the art form and less concerned about greasing palms to be successful. 

I think it would be fun to analyze movies and discuss things we catch in movies that are either mistakes, don't make sense or were likely intentionally placed in the flicks to catch people's attention.

Any move, any genre. 

Thoughts?

Edited by VintageComics

I got the idea from this thread after re-watching The Dark Knight movie with Heath Ledger as Joker. 

I started catching ALL SORT of things I missed in previous viewings. 

I attribute it to the fact that I'm a different person now than I was 3 years ago and see things differently with a much more critical eye and what jumps out at you is astounding once you start paying attention. 

The entire premise of film making is an illusion. 

The put in the "meat and potatoes" of a scene but then dress it to hide what's missing in the hopes of you not catching it. 

It turns out that once you stop paying attention to the dressing, you start to realize that it's not really meat and potatoes. 

In fact, there never was any meat or potatoes. lol

Just dressing. 

In this scene, Joker is blowing up the hospital after recruiting Harvey Dent. 

I've watched this scene a ZILLION times and I never noticed these things. 

For one, the building on the right looks to be an abandoned building. If you look at it before it blows up at the 55 second mark, all the windows are almost completely empty.

It also looks like they "built" a bridge to the building across the road to link them, making them look like a hospital. The bridge looks much newer than the two buildings it connects. 

Speaking of new things, at the 55 second mark, check out the concrete on the corner of the intersection as the Joker's bus pulls away. The concrete is freshly poured. This makes me think that they made a new, 'rounded' corner to make it look more like a hospital zone at the stop sign and ALSO added a street lamp and a fire hydrant to make the street look more occupied.

Additionally, if you look at all the street markings you'll see that some are new and some are old. 

For example, at the 0:55 mark the yellow street lines that the Joker walks over are fresh, as are the yellow markings on the curb at the corner. Like BRAND NEW YELLOW next to the BRAND NEW CONCRETE.

And at the 1:17 mark, you can CLEARLY see fresh white paint all over the parking lots, contrasting with the old white paint in some spots. 

But the biggest giveaway at the 1:17 mark is that there is a MUD YARD behind the 'hospital' as well as train tracks and industrial buildings. This 'hospital' was likely and abandoned building in an industrial area that was converted to a hospital to make blowing up the hospital look real...but also cost effective.

The illusions and dressing are made up by the smoke used to hide details, quick camera angles which don't allow you to see much for long, the illusion of sequential story telliing (Joker was probably walking through an actual hospital but when they cut outside to the explosions it was likely a totally different location but you wouldn't think so the way they edited it) and of course "spolosions". Noises and visuals cause your brain to fill in blanks without even realizing it. 

And so, there you have it.

Once you lift the illusions and dressing, you start to see that meat and potatoes are not actually meat or potatoes and more like a fast food option that just looks and tastes like food but actually isn't anything like the real thing. :D

Anyone else?

Edited by VintageComics

STORMTROOPER HITS HEAD

I never saw/knew about this one, until it was pointed out many years later.  But it was nice to see a Stormtrooper finally hit something!

image.png.cb07f2ecf3eb81273a30f64b97b10b1e.png

I’m sure we all remember the modern to go coffee cup in GOT. I can see how this would happen. There is often a lot of downtime when switching camera angles and someone must have set it down. Usually someone scans the background  and checks for these things or catches it during editing though.

IMG_0675.thumb.jpeg.94c8b94d4f06ec73815cda45a54ffc9b.jpeg

Here's another one. 

Hollywood magic created through camera angles. 

I've been a huge fan of the Lethal Weapon franchise since I was a teenager. My ex and I used to go to the theaters to see them all. 

This famous jump scene is emblazoned in my mind, except that I came across the building where this scene was filmed and had a stark realization. 

Well, there's a reason they never show you the entire building in the video and only snippets of the structure. 

They want to give you the illusion that it's a very tall building, when in fact it's a short, funny looking building that is 7 stories tall. lol

In the pic it doesn't look that odd but in person the building is actually quite stout, short and funny looking. 

So by choosing not to show you the entire picture they make you believe the building is tall. 

Emsertilebuilding.thumb.png.06739f4458b2201487054f1d4a6d6bce.png

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/17/2023 at 1:08 PM, VintageComics said:

Well, there's a reason they never show you the entire building in the video and only snippets of the structure. 

They want to give you the illusion that it's a very tall building, when in fact it's a short, funny looking building that is 7 stories tall. lol

In the pic it doesn't look that odd but in person the building is actually quite stout, short and funny looking. 

So by choosing not to show you the entire picture they make you believe the building is tall. 

Emsertilebuilding.thumb.png.06739f4458b2201487054f1d4a6d6bce.png

The handcuffs also break when they jump, and the stuntmen grab hands.  

On 10/17/2023 at 4:47 PM, sd2416 said:

The handcuffs also break when they jump, and the stuntmen grab hands.  

On 10/17/2023 at 4:48 PM, sd2416 said:

33cruoh9ui641.jpg

Ah, great catch!

For DECADES I've wondered how they made that jump, knowing that if they landed there is no way they'd land exactly the same way and I had visions of one of them pulling an arm out of the socket, so that makes perfect sense. 

There's no way they could do that jump with real handcuffs without getting hurt bad. 

Edited by VintageComics

In Die Hard, when John jumps off the rooftop, his fall stops at a smaller window, not a office window.  Next cut, he's lined up with the big window.  
Also, flying through that glass would have cut him up worse than his feet were. 
You can also see his rubber "shoes" designed as feet in a lot of the running scenes. 

Also, staying with Die Hard, the ambulance is not present in the moving truck when you see the terrorists and Hans walk out of it. 

When John is at the digital employee screen looking for Holly, her name changes the way its spelled. 
Gennaro, Holly, to Gennero, Holly. 

At the ho ho ho now I have a machine gun moment when Hans moves his head, the dead guy closes his eyes. 

Also,  how dirty his undershirt got from the vent.  

xz8vkfmhtdg41.png

feet.JPG

download.jpg

On 10/19/2023 at 1:08 PM, sd2416 said:

In Die Hard, when John jumps off the rooftop, his fall stops at a smaller window, not a office window.  Next cut, he's lined up with the big window.  
Also, flying through that glass would have cut him up worse than his feet were. 
You can also see his rubber "shoes" designed as feet in a lot of the running scenes. 

Also, staying with Die Hard, the ambulance is not present in the moving truck when you see the terrorists and Hans walk out of it. 

When John is at the digital employee screen looking for Holly, her name changes the way its spelled. 
Gennaro, Holly, to Gennero, Holly. 

At the ho ho ho now I have a machine gun moment when Hans moves his head, the dead guy closes his eyes. 

Also,  how dirty his undershirt got from the vent.  

xz8vkfmhtdg41.png

feet.JPG

download.jpg

I wonder what that editor is doing for work today? lol

Those rubber socks are particularly bad. They couldn't make them extend up the pant leg to complete the illusion? doh!

I'm a total perfectionist when it comes to details and if I was a film maker this shizzle would haunt me for the rest of my days. 

On 10/19/2023 at 7:29 PM, VintageComics said:

I wonder what that editor is doing for work today? lol

Those rubber socks are particularly bad. They couldn't make them extend up the pant leg to complete the illusion? doh!

I'm a total perfectionist when it comes to details and if I was a film maker this shizzle would haunt me for the rest of my days. 

You are forgetting that we didn’t have big screen tvs with high definition back then. You could get away with a lot more compared to now.

On 10/19/2023 at 9:43 PM, CAHokie said:

You are forgetting that we didn’t have big screen tvs with high definition back then. You could get away with a lot more compared to now.

You don't think you'd spot those socks back in the 80s? lol

On 10/20/2023 at 12:21 PM, sd2416 said:

someone break out their vhs and a tube tv, lets see. 

Don’t tempt him, he will do it! lol

I will also add that this was pre-internet days when people watched a movie without dissecting each frame. If someone saw a person in the background or something that wasn’t supposed to be there the lore would be that it was a ghost or something.

On 10/20/2023 at 2:20 PM, CAHokie said:

Don’t tempt him, he will do it! lol

I will also add that this was pre-internet days when people watched a movie without dissecting each frame. If someone saw a person in the background or something that wasn’t supposed to be there the lore would be that it was a ghost or something.

Referencing 3 Men and a baby?