• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you buy a Conserved Golden age Comic book.? Looking for opinions
4 4

78 posts in this topic

On 10/20/2023 at 11:56 PM, lou_fine said:

If my elementary school arithmetic is correct, then 4% of $4 million dollars should work out to only $160,000................what is the extra $130 for?  hm  

Per Mike’s earlier post return shipping would be $125, plus a $5 invoice fee I guess. Of course unless the submitter wants to risk shipping a multimillion dollar book with just $100k in shipping insurance, the actual cost might be more like $160,005 + travel costs to/from Sarasota (or possibly more than that if it really graded out at an 8.0, as the last 3.0 and 6.0 sales were $1.5 million and $3 million, so and 8.0 would arguably be worth more than $4 million today)

To answer the original question:  Yes!  One hundred times over.  I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it; as a collector working within a budget, conserved or restored a lot of times is the only way I can afford to purchase certain books for my collection.

Edited by badback83
Spelling

On 10/20/2023 at 10:17 PM, Superman2006 said:

Per Mike’s earlier post return shipping would be $125, plus a $5 invoice fee I guess. Of course unless the submitter wants to risk shipping a multimillion dollar book with just $100k in shipping insurance, the actual cost might be more like $160,005 + travel costs to/from Sarasota (or possibly more than that if it really graded out at an 8.0, as the last 3.0 and 6.0 sales were $1.5 million and $3 million, so and 8.0 would arguably be worth more than $4 million today)

Not that I would ever have to be concerned about it but I would buy a plane ticket and wait in the waiting room for it. 

On 10/22/2023 at 8:24 AM, Robot Man said:

Not that I would ever have to be concerned about it but I would buy a plane ticket and wait in the waiting room for it. 

I certainly hope their waiting room is set up with a bed and TV along with a fridge that is stocked up with a ton of food, plus a potty of course, because you just might be waiting a long time to get your book back.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  zzz

On 10/22/2023 at 7:18 PM, lou_fine said:

I certainly hope their waiting room is set up with a bed and TV along with a fridge that is stocked up with a ton of food, plus a potty of course, because you just might be waiting a long time to get your book back.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  zzz

I’ve only submitted a few books for grading and don’t swim in the deep end of the pool. But what happened to “walk through” grading? 

On 10/23/2023 at 11:58 AM, Robot Man said:
On 10/22/2023 at 10:18 PM, lou_fine said:

I’ve only submitted a few books for grading and don’t swim in the deep end of the pool. But what happened to “walk through” grading? 

What was previously the "walk through" tier now roughly corresponds to the "unlimited value" tier in so much as both of those tiers had unlimited value. However, whereas walk through tier used to have a 1 day turn around time (and iirc a 3% fee subject to a max grading fee; maybe even lower than 3% in the early days of CGC), the unlimited value tier has a 2 day turn around (with a 4% fee, and no max grading fee).

CGC is incentivizing submitters to undervalue their books. Why value an Action 1 at $4,000,000 when you can save $80,000 by valuing it at $2,000,000? And since you have to provide your own insurance on the back end you are covered for whatever value you wish to insure for. And since you own the book then you create the value, so if CGC tries to upcharge based on their perceived value you can easily take them to court.

Edited by MrBedrock

On 10/23/2023 at 8:58 AM, Robot Man said:

On 10/23/2023 at 9:22 AM, Superman2006 said:

However, whereas walk through tier used to have a 1 day turn around time (and iirc a 3% fee subject to a max grading fee; maybe even lower than 3% in the early days of CGC), the unlimited value tier has a 2 day turn around (with a 4% fee, and no max grading fee).

Once you also factor in the fact the fact that CGC always tends to be far behind in their TAT's, it's really known as "sleep through" grading. zzz  lol

On 10/23/2023 at 10:52 AM, MrBedrock said:

CGC is incentivizing submitters to undervalue their books. Why value an Action 1 at $4,000,000 when you can save $80,000 by valuing it at $2,000,000? And since you have to provide your own insurance on the back end you are covered for whatever value you wish to insure for. And since you own the book then you create the value, so if CGC tries to upcharge based on their perceived value you can easily take them to court.

On 10/23/2023 at 12:12 PM, action1kid said:

Absolutely Richard !!

Well, my take on this matter here is that since CGC requires you, the submittor and not them, to value the book first (i.e. based upon condition and restoration status of course), you should simply place a valuation on the book based upon your lowest estimated grade and also assume the book has been restored because it just might have been. (thumbsu

With whatever valuation that you have come up with, you should then divide that figure by two, because you have done half the work for CGC with their requirement for YOU to come up with an estimated grade and restoration determination on the book prior to submission.  (:  lol

On 10/24/2023 at 12:36 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, my take on this matter here is that since CGC requires you, the submittor and not them, to value the book first (i.e. based upon condition and restoration status of course), you should simply place a valuation on the book based upon your lowest estimated grade and also assume the book has been restored because it just might have been. (thumbsu

With whatever valuation that you have come up with, you should then divide that figure by two, because you have done half the work for CGC with their requirement for YOU to come up with an estimated grade and restoration determination on the book prior to submission.  (:  lol

If the submitter has a hand in grading, it's no longer a purely objective determination.

On 10/24/2023 at 1:24 PM, fifties said:

If the submitter has a hand in grading, it's no longer a purely objective determination.

Definitely not my intention as I thought we were all tired of talking about it by now, but are you referring to the Promise Collection here?  lol

On 10/24/2023 at 3:44 PM, lou_fine said:

Definitely not my intention as I thought we were all tired of talking about it by now, but are you referring to the Promise Collection here?  lol

Nope, just in general.  I have no dog in this race.

I have a question. This crowd should know..........

Why do comic investors buy graded comics? The investment can't be inspected?

This activity makes no common sense whatsoever.

Can anyone explain to me why insanity takes hold when a piece of plastic is the item?

Im really lost with this......... I'm being serious here not a dumb joke..... Why do we do this?

On 10/27/2023 at 9:56 PM, JB123 said:

I have a question. This crowd should know..........

Why do comic investors buy graded comics? The investment can't be inspected?

This activity makes no common sense whatsoever.

Can anyone explain to me why insanity takes hold when a piece of plastic is the item?

Im really lost with this......... I'm being serious here not a dumb joke..... Why do we do this?

I started dewlling on this in a comic shop one day when I overheard the owner bragging about fooling CGC with a married page in a key comic and he got a blue label and was so proud of himself.............. Just giddy with pride.........

On 10/27/2023 at 6:59 PM, JB123 said:

I started dewlling on this in a comic shop one day when I overheard the owner bragging about fooling CGC with a married page in a key comic and he got a blue label and was so proud of himself.............. Just giddy with pride.........

Personally, I would steer clear of any seller that does that. Some people just can’t help themselves. No telling what else he would do if he thought he could get away with it. 

On 10/28/2023 at 10:45 AM, Robot Man said:

Personally, I would steer clear of any seller that does that. Some people just can’t help themselves. No telling what else he would do if he thought he could get away with it. 

We never went back and I demanded my hot young girlfriend move out of the entire area it had such a stench on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never been married.... Maybe I have some odd aversion to it?

PTSD of some sort? Any ideas to help me?