• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about grader's notes.
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm wondering if everything that is wrong with the book gets put on the grader's notes? I recently submitted what I thought was a pretty clean copy of the Vengeance of Bane. I got an 8.5 and thought at least it was a 9.6. The grader's notes only state "moderate stacking bend". Is that enough to knock the grade down so much or is it possible they just don't list all the flaws that gave it the grade?

Thanks in advanced.

I can't answer the second part of your question, but I can say the graders do not necessarily list every single defect in the grader's notes.  There are plenty of graded books - even lower grade ones - that have no grader's notes at all.  I think there's been an effort by CGC to have graders notes available on a higher percentage of books, however.

On 10/20/2023 at 4:50 PM, Mikeyrots said:

Hello,

I'm wondering if everything that is wrong with the book gets put on the grader's notes? I recently submitted what I thought was a pretty clean copy of the Vengeance of Bane. I got an 8.5 and thought at least it was a 9.6. The grader's notes only state "moderate stacking bend". Is that enough to knock the grade down so much or is it possible they just don't list all the flaws that gave it the grade?

Thanks in advanced.

Grading notes will vary from grader to grader. Generally, the pre-grader enters the majority of the notes; the finalizer usually only puts notes in if he catches something the pre-grader missed and it affects the final grade. There certainly could be other problems with the book, but an 8.5 can have a fairly significant flaw or a number of small flaws. 

In this case, it sounds like the stacking bend was severe enough to keep the book out of the Near Mint range...