• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wondering how much this will prob sell for? Captain Marvel Adventures1941

29 posts in this topic

well, i'd bet a nickel Supes 1 and Bats 1 also had big fat print-runs as well. whiz 1, CMA 1, etc. aren't exactly common books.

print-runs are interesting and everything, but DC had bigger print-runs than Marvel in the early 60s (didn't it?) and we all know that many of those DCs are tougher than Marvels to get in high grade.

#1 likely didn't have a HUGE circulation, but I'd bet it was in the hundreds of thousands. Anyone know for sure?

It seems like slabbed fawcetts go for guide, non slabbed for 2/3 -1/2 guide. Timulty, you collect this stuff, what do you see?

I do still have a few issues I'm planning on selling (hint, hint)

Okay, As far as Whiz and CMA what you don't see all that often. CMA's 1-7 this actually matches up with Gerber. Whiz Comics 1-10 and 17-19. What you see quality wise of those issues is often in the VG and below range. You really don't see High Grade. I believe this goes back to what CentaurMan was saying about the paper quality. Also, tons of production defects.

Does this mean you can't locate a CMA 1 or Whiz 1 for sale? No, I know where to locate 3 of CMA 1 and 5 of Whiz 1 as of today.

As for a for trying to put together a GA run or either? There are 155 issues of Whiz and 150 of Captain Marvel. Cost wise, it is very, very approachable with low grade non keys going for $20-$30 a piece. Problem is the rares in each (150-155 for Whiz and 153-155 for CMA) are much more costly even in low grade. I just picked up a low grade CMA 150 (Gerber 7) for $30 which is incredibly cheap. I recently saw a CMA 150 CGC 5.5 ran $180 and WC 155 ran about $160 on ebay a while back. When compared to most of the issues in those grades running $20-$30...supply and demand rules for these comics.

So yes, even the keys really don't hit guide, unless I suspect high grade (8.0 up) is a factor.

well, i'd bet a nickel Supes 1 and Bats 1 also had big fat print-runs as well. whiz 1, CMA 1, etc. aren't exactly common books.

print-runs are interesting and everything, but DC had bigger print-runs than Marvel in the early 60s (didn't it?) and we all know that many of those DCs are tougher than Marvels to get in high grade.

Well, DC's like the Fawcetts had some very common production defects in their runs, which probably led to receipt of lower grades on those books.

I collect certain Fawcetts, especially some of those with Mac Raboy covers/art. My understanding is that the paper stock used on Fawcett covers and interiors during 1941-1945 (or so) was actually superior (and heavier) to that offered on similar era DCs and Timelys. That's why the gloss on some of these books is stunning, and why these books are just plain thicker than their counterparts from the other publishers. There are, of course, some exceptions (like the CMA #1).

While many Whiz and CMA turn up often, I agree that some are quite difficult to locate. And, in my experience, some issues from other Fawcett titles (in grade) are nearly impossible to locate (this seems counter-intuitive considering they had a sturdier start).

In fact, if you have Fawcetts in grade (with Mac Raboy art - or if you have original art by Raboy) that you are looking to sell, please PM me.

LH

I was thinking about bidding on this book but the spine splits really bother me and with the paper being so weak they could get alot worse over time unless the book is restored.I agree if the book had been CGCed, in my opinion it would have sold for alot more.