• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold Key and Whitman Original Art

31 posts in this topic

On 10/28/2023 at 1:52 AM, christosgage said:

When I was a kid in the 70s I loved two Gold Key comics: Turok, because I was a dinosaur nut, and UFO OUTER SPACE, because I was also super into UFOs. I managed to compile a full run of UFO FLYING SAUCERS/UFO OUTER SPACE comics some years ago, but the original art has proven very hard to come by. I've seen a few covers listed on CAF but usually in "I used to own this" files. Finally I was able to pick up an original painted cover to an issue I vividly remember having as a kid that explored the whole "ancient astronauts" theory that was popular in the 70s. Here's the painted cover along with the published cover, so you can see how much more vivid the colors are on the original.

Oh and if anyone has any more UFO Flying Saucers/Outer Space art, whether for sale or not, do let me know! I'd love to hear what's out there. Thanks!

UFO Outer space .jpg

UFO Outer Space.JPG

Very nice . . . you even get Spider-Man's chest emblem thrown into the mix!  ;)

On 10/27/2023 at 8:52 PM, christosgage said:

When I was a kid in the 70s I loved two Gold Key comics: Turok, because I was a dinosaur nut, and UFO OUTER SPACE, because I was also super into UFOs. I managed to compile a full run of UFO FLYING SAUCERS/UFO OUTER SPACE comics some years ago, but the original art has proven very hard to come by. I've seen a few covers listed on CAF but usually in "I used to own this" files. Finally I was able to pick up an original painted cover to an issue I vividly remember having as a kid that explored the whole "ancient astronauts" theory that was popular in the 70s. Here's the painted cover along with the published cover, so you can see how much more vivid the colors are on the original.

Oh and if anyone has any more UFO Flying Saucers/Outer Space art, whether for sale or not, do let me know! I'd love to hear what's out there. Thanks!

UFO Outer space .jpg

UFO Outer Space.JPG

The Turok "flying saucer" cover is out there...

On 11/21/2023 at 10:35 PM, tth2 said:

HD&L Junior Woodchucks #48 cover.  Bought this in 2007 and it was up on my daughter's bedroom wall for many years.

image.png.a7f1be84e720bc1affb1f6326033f979.png

That’s a really cool cover because the artist snuck Woody Woodpecker into a Disney Ducks cover. Could this be the first-ever crossover of the characters? 😉

On 11/21/2023 at 11:38 AM, lobrac said:

Turok is having a rough day at the office. (Turok, Son of Stone #18 -- Dell, 1959)

IMG_7470.jpeg

40876.jpg

SUBLIME!  And it's a new addition to my list of known Turok cover paintings!

What are the dimensions?  Any info written on the back?

Please - do tell the background story...and thanks for posting.