• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Joiner!
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hello All

I posted this on the Ask CGC side as well.  But curious if you folks know anything about why this would happen.  I sent these covers in with excellent condition.  They now seem to have a scuff running along the whole left side of each book.  Additionally these strange liquid halo effect on the inside middle of each book?

What gives?  Thanks in advance

IMG_4324.jpg

IMG_4325.jpg

IMG_4326.jpg

The "liquid halo effect" sounds like newton rings (see below). Seeing your cover with what looks a foil cover reminded me of the exclusively graded gold foil Superman from late last year that was horrible with newton rings and interior scuffing. While nothing has been confirmed (or admitted), some suspect they have been trying to minimize newton rings by scuffing the inside of the slab or applying something on the interior slab that results in the smudging and scuffing (not sure if any of that is true). 

On 10/26/2023 at 3:52 PM, flchris said:

The "liquid halo effect" sounds like newton rings (see below). Seeing your cover with what looks a foil cover reminded me of the exclusively graded gold foil Superman from late last year that was horrible with newton rings and interior scuffing. While nothing has been confirmed (or admitted), some suspect they have been trying to minimize newton rings by scuffing the inside of the slab or applying something on the interior slab that results in the smudging and scuffing (not sure if any of that is true). 

Thanks for sharing this.  It just looks so bad with an otherwise really nice cover.  All my other books look good. Anything I can do about it?

On 10/26/2023 at 3:09 PM, Wahab Abbasi said:

Thanks for sharing this.  It just looks so bad with an otherwise really nice cover.  All my other books look good. Anything I can do about it?

Can try to contact CGC and show them pics to see if they'll offer a reholder service which may or may not solve the issue (been hit or miss for folks). But you have 14 days from when you received the book back to make the claim.

On 10/26/2023 at 3:27 PM, Wahab Abbasi said:

To be honest, I can't tell.  I didn't press on it or anything like that incase it made it worse.  Genuinely hope it's not on the book itself.  It looks silly rated a 9.8 but the whole cover is a mess haha

If anything like that gold superman cover incident, then I think the scuffs are likely on the slab itself and not the book. If you go to the QC subtopic, there have been a lot of previous discussions/complaints about the scuffing and newton rings: