• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something doesn't add up.
1 1

49 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2023 at 4:55 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

It's all fun and games until someone hacks your crypto wallet to steal the NFT and now they own your copy of Star #1. lol

Just note: a crypto wallet is un-hackable. Millions of people have tried, the only crypto wallet hack is when someone hacks the persons computer and finds the recovery phrase. Run a Ledger for all transactions, it is a un-hackable system. Never leave you recovery phrase on your computer, or break it up in some childish encryption game like with in words of a novel. I like to keep one copy buried in a capsule (haha yes under a rock, two paces north of a tree type thing) and another in a safe. Even those are encrypted.  

Haha DougC

I'm going to put a lot of trust in everyone since I've been watching CGCSS books coming out of China with questionable shop profiles. I know, I was going to stop getting SS books but I had to get this one since it did check all my requirements.

1. CGCSS (9.8 preferred) (no other grading companies or raw signatures)
  2. Marvel or DC (only)
  3. E-bay costs of raw book near the CGCSS price (I like about ~ $40 or less)
  4. Signature of cover artist. (highly preferred)
  5. Virgin (sketch preferred)
  6. Last of course popular character (Wolverine my preferred preference)  

Wolverine & All-new Wolverine #1 CGC 9.8 Virgin Sketch CVR signed by Stanley Lau

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186135578303

I haven't seen a book score so high on my spread sheet so couldn't pass this one up. (I epic bid on the 8 sec. timer) But it's coming out of China. Back to US, I checked shipping to Taiwan haha, is sooo much more expensive. (that whole China is a "developing country" with cheep shipping to US)

E-bay has one reg CGC that is unsigned for $199, people say they prefer non-signed, (I guess maybe that is why SS are lower) but all of the books I got that are CGC Signature Series cost me less than the regular CGC. Most of the time much more less then if I bought the book raw and sent it into a signature event.

IDK oh well, I'll trust everyone that there is no trickery.

Thank you though...  haha this new one might be my new favorite book. 

On 11/1/2023 at 10:14 PM, Antillia Island said:

Haha DougC

I'm going to put a lot of trust in everyone since I've been watching CGCSS books coming out of China with questionable shop profiles. I know, I was going to stop getting SS books but I had to get this one since it did check all my requirements.

1. CGCSS (9.8 preferred) (no other grading companies or raw signatures)
  2. Marvel or DC (only)
  3. E-bay costs of raw book near the CGCSS price (I like about ~ $40 or less)
  4. Signature of cover artist. (highly preferred)
  5. Virgin (sketch preferred)
  6. Last of course popular character (Wolverine my preferred preference)  

Wolverine & All-new Wolverine #1 CGC 9.8 Virgin Sketch CVR signed by Stanley Lau

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186135578303

I haven't seen a book score so high on my spread sheet so couldn't pass this one up. (I epic bid on the 8 sec. timer) But it's coming out of China. Back to US, I checked shipping to Taiwan haha, is sooo much more expensive. (that whole China is a "developing country" with cheep shipping to US)

E-bay has one reg CGC that is unsigned for $199, people say they prefer non-signed, (I guess maybe that is why SS are lower) but all of the books I got that are CGC Signature Series cost me less than the regular CGC. Most of the time much more less then if I bought the book raw and sent it into a signature event.

Thank you though...  haha this new one might be my new favorite book. 

The best thing about auctions is at least you know that someone else was interested at just a little less than your winning bid.  That should give you some comfort that the downside risk is limited to transaction costs for the time being.  

On 11/2/2023 at 11:25 AM, Nick Furious said:

Don't put a lot of faith in asking prices on Ebay, that's no way to determine the true market demand.  Use the Ebay "advanced search" tab to look at previous selling prices.  

Totally agree, I don't trust centralized systems (centralized = basically backroom people coming up with prices, like the Wall Street stockmarket manipulators, people that play with prices of products including comic prices on E-bay, or gov currency printing, etc.)  I have a spread sheet designed to figure it out risk vs reward and try, but usually don't buy SS books over $60, unless I study the original book very closley, this one was an exception I "had" to run epic.

I like the pricecharting.com It still has a lot of work to prefect its formulas but ever since they released their phone app (like last month) I got really interested. They appear to be a good project team, they are coming from video game tracking/collecting, I'm sure everyone is aware of them.  

Thank you for the advice. :) 

On 11/1/2023 at 10:14 PM, Antillia Island said:

Lots of comic "sellers" from China aren't faking slabs, they're just stealing pictures and scamming you. I hope your mom opens the packages and knows how to verify the contents.