• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay sellers getting cranky.
5 5

83 posts in this topic

Hmmm You cant buy and sell on eBay and expect it to be like dealing with a business. On top of it, eBay has terrible customer service. I've been on eBay since it started. Too many people think Amazon is the proper business model to follow: free shipping and free returns among other things. I very quietly remind buyers that is not part of my business model.

On eBay you are dealing mostly with everyday people and the diversity is well beyond what you might think. I have sold on eBay to over 150 different countries all over the world (at last count). Thats a lot of different cultures and customs. My favorite part is selling to someone where the item originated. I've done it dozens of times down to the exact city state and country. I block people on eBay too but I reserve it for fools who intentionally break an item or return an item that was not in the original sale.  

I buy very few comics on ebay... if I do, it's almost always slabbed. I've stopped my daily ebay searches because they are almost a total waste of time and effort. I just buy from trusted dealers. My time is worth way more than the rare eBay steal.

As hard as it is to believe, ebay sellers have actually gotten worse in the past several years. 

• Many refuse to issue a grade. "I am not a professional grader... look at pics and you decide" is the new mantra of the lazy and incompetent sellers who won't accept accountability for items they are offering. So the buyer is supposed to look at angled, grainy phone photos and make an educated guess at the grade. If you miss any subtle flaw in the horrible photos... well... that's YOUR fault.
  • The rise of the phone and demise of the desktop with scanner. Auction photos are way worse than they used to be. You actually used to be able to make a relatively accurate assessment of the book in many cases when scanners were used. Now it is quite rare. But no worries... you will get steeply angled pics of all four corners! :facepalm:  
Edited by Mr. Zipper

On 12/3/2023 at 5:07 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

I buy very few comics on ebay... if I do, it's almost always slabbed. I've stopped my daily ebay searches because they are almost a total waste of time and effort. I just buy from trusted dealers. My time is worth way more than the rare eBay steal.

As hard as it is to believe, ebay sellers have actually gotten worse in the past several years. 

• Many refuse to issue a grade. "I am not a professional grader... look at pics and you decide" is the new mantra of the lazy and incompetent sellers who won't accept accountability for items they are offering. So the buyer is supposed to look at angled, grainy phone photos and make an educated guess at the grade. If you miss any subtle flaw in the horrible photos... well... that's YOUR fault.
  • The rise of the phone and demise of the desktop with scanner. Auction photos are way worse than they used to be. You actually used to be able to make a relatively accurate assessment of the book in many cases when scanners were used. Now it is quite rare. But no worries... you will get steeply angled pics of all four corners! :facepalm:  

Not too big of an issue when you're poor and can only afford low grade cartoon comics (aka me) xD

Edited by stormflora