• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(EBAY) Would you trust a very popular seller who has some bad reviews
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Some sellers on Ebay are really popular and sold thousand of items with a really good global opinion but however have some bad reviews, did you think its a natural things to have some bad reviews when your selling very much items? Or you wouldnt trust in him and buy his books?

Edited by BA773

It depends on what the negative feedback says, who wrote the negative feedback, the percentage of negative feedback, how long the seller has been on ebay, how many transactions the seller has had and what type of items the seller sells. Sometimes you have to read between the lines. Who is the seller you're referring to?

On 11/4/2023 at 12:55 PM, Pontoon said:

It depends on what the negative feedback says, who wrote the negative feedback, the percentage of negative feedback, how long the seller has been on ebay, how many transactions the seller has had and what type of items the seller sells. Sometimes you have to read between the lines. Who is the seller you're referring to?

https://www.ebay.com/str/jscomics?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=cIvOLd2RRW-&sssrc=3418065&ssuid=ffh0bp_9r56&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Indicate 0 negative review at first view but when you click on there is 13 negative review. 

I realize that it seems to be some old comments 

Edited by BA773

On 11/4/2023 at 1:45 PM, Pontoon said:

Where are you seeing 13 negative reviews? All I see is a single neutral review.

J&S Comics out of New Jersey is a reputable and well-known dealer. I have bought from them before without issue, though that was at least 10 years ago. There are probably threads on the Boards that mention them. They've been doing mail order since at least the early '80s and used to advertise in the comics.

Now, if I didn't know that and was just looking at their ebay listings I would see that they've been selling on ebay since 1999. That's a long track record, they're obviously not someone who decided to strike it rich and just started selling at the height of the pandemic bubble. I see page after page of positive, glowing reviews praising their shipping methods and grading skills, and they've sold over 73,000 items. The one neutral I see is someone complaining that his sealed multipacks were not individually bagged and boarded. :screwy:

The type of negative feedback is important. Does the negative feedback come from a long-time ebayer and concern a problem like shipping a valuable, high grade item in a manilla envelope, or does it come from a newbie complaining about an undisclosed 1/4" interior tear on a $5, low-grade comic?

I can also see that J&S sells a wide variety of comics in a variety of grades. They aren't just selling boxloads of modern drek and they assign grades as opposed to saying "we're not professional graders," or "grading is subjective, you decide based on the photos."

I can tell from their listings they are a comic selling business, not someone who is selling some comics along with various yard sale items.

I'm not seeing red flags here. The seller from FL you linked to in your previous thread looked a lot more questionable to me.

Like i told it noticed 0 negative but if you click on negative there is 13 negative comment, but its some old comment and all of your other arguments are good. 

Yeah i not buy to the seller from Florida because of the price firstly but more of that it doesnt semmed really professional... i finallly found a really better option for wonder woman book and bought to silk622 really popular on Ebay too!

Yeah,  it's strange you have to filter for the negatives to see them. 

He's done thousands of transactions and only 13 negative isn't unreasonable. 

The one red flag is,  almost all complaints revolve around him but responding or following up. 

All the complaints seem to be old however. 

If he had something I wanted bad enough,  I would buy from him. Go in eyes wide open. 

On 11/4/2023 at 2:01 PM, KCOComics said:

Yeah,  it's strange you have to filter for the negatives to see them. 

He's done thousands of transactions and only 13 negative isn't unreasonable. 

The one red flag is,  almost all complaints revolve around him but responding or following up. 

All the complaints seem to be old however. 

If he had something I wanted bad enough,  I would buy from him. Go in eyes wide open. 

I will do, but its the other people who define if i buy because we re talking about an auction!!! :slapfight:

About that you have to filter maybe Ebay list only the recent purchases? because if you look at the positive review considering that this seller had make thousand and thousand of sales, 700 good review stay a little number. 

Edited by BA773

I've bought from him as well and had no issues.  2,014 positive feedback and one neutral feedback in the last 12 months for a high volume seller is not a red flag at all.  So he had 13 negative feedback regarding lack of communication and over 73,000 positive feedback over the last 24 years, and you're concern whether or not you should trust this seller?  Are you serious?

On 11/4/2023 at 2:21 PM, Semicentennial said:

I've bought from him as well and had no issues.  2,014 positive feedback and one neutral feedback in the last 12 months for a high volume seller is not a red flag at all.  So he had 13 negative feedback regarding lack of communication and over 73,000 positive feedback over the last 24 years, and you're concern whether or not you should trust this seller?  Are you serious?

On 11/4/2023 at 2:21 PM, Semicentennial said:

When i was young we told me that there is no stupid question. 

@Semicentennial you will continue to repress me on every of my topic? I think you could be more lenient, everyone arent expert like you...

On 11/4/2023 at 7:55 AM, Pontoon said:

It depends on what the negative feedback says, who wrote the negative feedback, the percentage of negative feedback, how long the seller has been on ebay, how many transactions the seller has had and what type of items the seller sells. Sometimes you have to read between the lines. 

Absolutely.  I treat eBay feedback sort of like Amazon reviews.  That is, I start out by completely ignoring the top few percent rave reviews (which could have been left by friends and family) and bottom few percent horrible reviews (which are frequently left by the buyers with completely unrealistic expectations).  What remains after I ignore those?  Does it give me a picture of a seller or product that meets my expectations?  If the percentage of bad reviews is too high, then I move on.

If somebody passes muster on that first check, then I look at the details of the bad reviews.  I don't need an eBay seller with 100% positive feedback, because I understand that things can sometimes go wrong.  I read the feedback to see if the bad things were caused by the seller, and if the seller worked to quickly and professionally resolve problems.  If I get that based on the contents of the feedback, then I'm happy to go ahead with a purchase.  If I get the sense that the seller regularly creates foreseeable problems, or the seller regularly ignores attempts at resolution, or the seller regularly treats dissatisfied customers disrespectfully, then I typically move on.

On 11/4/2023 at 6:27 AM, BA773 said:

When i was young we told me that there is no stupid question. 

@Semicentennial you will continue to repress me on every of my topic? I think you could be more lenient, everyone arent expert like you...

Never said I was an expert on anything.  This is just common sense.

On 11/4/2023 at 9:30 AM, Semicentennial said:

Never said I was an expert on anything.  This is just common sense.

"Common sense" has nothing to do with it.  This is a newbie forum, for people who want to learn more.  The question was a reasonable question regarding how people make meaning out a feedback tool that has a lot of information. 

On 11/4/2023 at 6:42 AM, SOTIcollector said:

"Common sense" has nothing to do with it.  This is a newbie forum, for people who want to learn more.  The question was a reasonable question regarding how people make meaning out a feedback tool that has a lot of information. 

It's a basic question that can be applied to almost anything, not just comics.  It wasn't a question about a comic but about as sellers reputation and reliability. 

If a mechanic has over 73,000 Yelp reviews and 13 negative reviews over 24 years.  Is this someone that can trusted? 

On 11/4/2023 at 2:48 PM, Gaard said:

One of my comic buying bugaboos...

If a buyer gets a negative for the same infraction as a previous negative outlined, he doesn't get my business. Everyone makes mistakes. People who refuse to learn from them give me pause.

I discovered a new word here as "bugaboos"

On 11/4/2023 at 2:54 PM, Semicentennial said:

It's a basic question that can be applied to almost anything, not just comics.  It wasn't a question about a comic but about as sellers reputation and reliability. 

If a mechanic has over 73,000 Yelp reviews and 13 negative reviews over 24 years.  Is this someone that can trusted? 

Sometimes unfortunately the greatest make benefit of their réputation to f*** à few number of people... thats the reality.

Needle in the haystack

On 11/4/2023 at 7:03 AM, BA773 said:

Sometimes unfortunately the greatest make benefit of their réputation to f*** à few number of people... thats the reality.

Needle in the haystack

Or the reality is sometimes customers have an unreasonable, or unrealistic, expectation and if their demands aren't met results in a negative review for the retailer.

Edited by Semicentennial