• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED Timely Release — Sports Action
1 1

26 posts in this topic

5 Simple Rules (Please, please read)

:rulez:

1st :takeit: wins; tie/indeterminate goes to the thread.

Payment is Check or Money Order (yeah, yeah I know I'm a dinosaur, troglodyte, luddite, mennonite, hermaphrodite etc. - I just don't have or want e-payments.)

Shipping: Via USPS Priority; $10 for a Legal Flat Rate with a flip n ship mailer inside (approx. 8-12 books); Medium Priority Box at $17 for larger stacks.

Don't be listy (tsk) including the little one in my head.

Returns: Sure, just notify me within three days of receipt and get it back to me in the same shape on your dime, except no returns on graded books.

(Kudos thread linked under my avatar.)

Edited by Readcomix

If you look these up on Heritage, they refer to them as Atlas books, as does Overstreet. But to find them in the cgc census, issues #1-9 are listed as Timelys. The indicia liats small shell companies (eg - Animirth Comics Inc. in #2) as publishers, so I lean with cgc on this one. Definitely books from the Timely/Atlas transition era. 
Seven of the nine will be listed here (not holding back; I simply don’t have #’s 1 and 5)

Sports Action #2 solid FN- exterior presentation but calling it VGFN on moderate interior cover tanning. (Covers still fully supple). This one, the Gipper issue, is the biggest book in the run per the guide, but I think #5 is actually the most sought-after, commanding the highest prices generally. Compare to what’s available and what has sold on eBay.

:news: SOLD via PM! (WAS $100) NOW $75

IMG_9723.jpeg

IMG_9724.jpeg

IMG_9725.jpeg

IMG_9726.jpeg

Edited by Readcomix

On 11/5/2023 at 9:29 PM, Readcomix said:

This one, the Gipper issue, is the biggest book in the run per the guide, but I think #5 is actually the most sought-after, commanding the highest prices generally.

Overstreet has been laughably inaccurate on this for years. #5 gets the highest prices because non-comic people are the ones snapping it up.

On 11/5/2023 at 9:42 PM, stock_rotation said:

Overstreet has been laughably inaccurate on this for years. #5 gets the highest prices because non-comic people are the ones snapping it up.

Exactly, Dave! I suppose it’s the kind of title that non-comic people might chase various issues of, but for some reason that Iowa story in #5 has outsized, broad appeal.

On 11/5/2023 at 8:42 PM, stock_rotation said:

I would assume that most of these non-comic people are from Iowa, since Nile Kinnick is on the cover. Or maybe they are just Hawkeye fans who live somewhere else.

Edited by Math Teacher

Ok gang, I know many of these have copies available out there that are cheaper, but they are far lower grade. The few sharp ones sold seem to have gone for much higher prices, hence the initial asks, though my pricing is favorable compared to actual sales. As with much of the sharper esoteric GA, they can be hard to price, so I’ll listen to all offers.