• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brittle Pages? How Bad Is It? Is It a Dealbreaker?
7 7

65 posts in this topic

This one puzzled me.  I don’t claim to be an expert, so I’m probably missing something.  Before slabbing, several people flipped through the pages of this copy and not one person mentioned they thought the pages were brittle.  Now, I kinda assumed the pages had been lightened because they looked too good to be true compared to the cover.  I certainly didn’t think of any brittleness.  In fact, I remember thinking how decent the paper was considering the age of the book.

Captain America Comics 2 CGC 2.0 Front.jpeg

On 11/11/2023 at 9:44 AM, Buzzetta said:

I don't place a lot of faith in the CGC page assessment to be honest as I have seen books receive designations on various reslabs upon reslabbing.

This could be due to the revolving door of finalizers who've passed through the CGC grading room over the past 20 years or so...  :whistle:

On 2/7/2024 at 5:53 PM, badback83 said:

This one puzzled me.  I don’t claim to be an expert, so I’m probably missing something.  Before slabbing, several people flipped through the pages of this copy and not one person mentioned they thought the pages were brittle.  Now, I kinda assumed the pages had been lightened because they looked too good to be true compared to the cover.  I certainly didn’t think of any brittleness.  In fact, I remember thinking how decent the paper was considering the age of the book.

Captain America Comics 2 CGC 2.0 Front.jpeg

With Slightly Brittle (as opposed to Brittle), it may just be one isolated corner that's a bit dry or chippy.

One of my keepers is brittle.  I would think this would be a problem if you were keeping a raw book with intention of leafing through it.  Most of the time with a graded book, brittle pages will be on a lower grade, encased in an envelope, then encapsulated, without intention of it being further handled.  Not a problem for me.

d35.jpg

On 2/8/2024 at 6:41 PM, Joseph Ragno said:

One of my keepers is brittle.  I would think this would be a problem if you were keeping a raw book with intention of leafing through it.  Most of the time with a graded book, brittle pages will be on a lower grade, encased in an envelope, then encapsulated, without intention of it being further handled.  Not a problem for me.

d35.jpg

That's actually cooler than the cover!  I approve this message.  ;)