• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Discolouration….
2 2

11 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2023 at 3:16 PM, comicginger1789 said:

My confidence in your response is also 99.99987% because I figured one of you would be the respondent and thus set the record straight.

At any rate I love the book regardless and was happy to add as a late Halloween addition to my collection! 

From what I can see, it looks like it's doing pretty well for a book that's almost 70 years old...  (thumbsu

On 11/12/2023 at 7:38 PM, The Lions Den said:

From what I can see, it looks like it's doing pretty well for a book that's almost 70 years old...  (thumbsu

It is....rusty staples though. A tiny bit has affected the centrefold. I might perform some self preservation methods with some era correct staples. Maybe

On 11/12/2023 at 10:30 AM, zzutak said:

Yes.  This looks like an extreme case of a classic oil transfer stain.  This is what happens when oil from the interior printing ink migrates to and penetrates the cover stock.  Oil migration is possible because the printing inks used on the interior are oil based.  An oil transfer stain is definitely regarded as a blemish/defect, but one that's much less severe than an equivalent moisture stain.

If this was an aging/oxidation issue, the discoloration would begin at the cover edges and work towards the cover center over time.  Just the opposite has taken place here.  The center of the cover (which is directly over the inked portion of the interior pages) has yellowed from the oil transfer.  The edges of the cover (which are directly over uninked page margins) are still white.

My confidence level is this explanation?  99.999%.  :preach:  :foryou:

You should increase that confidence by .001%!!! Back in the day it was often called "ink transfer stain". Now "oil transfer stain" seems to be more common. It can ever be called just "transfer stain". 

BTW - that Journey #24 is one of my favorite mummy covers!

Edited by PovertyRow

On 11/19/2023 at 11:47 PM, PovertyRow said:

You should increase that confidence by .001%!!! Back in the day it was often called "ink transfer stain". Now "oil transfer stain" seems to be more common. It can ever be called just "transfer stain". 

BTW - that Journey #24 is one of my favorite mummy covers!

Thanks! And same! I have a very small (3 issues including this, Frankenstein #27 from 1953 and the one TTA issue with Mummex whose issue number escapes me) that consititue my "mummy" cover collection. Actually, I have more (Supernatural Thrillers issues) but for Golden Agers, those are now my only 3 and I hope to add more