• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Porky, Daffy and Bugs vs Mickey, Donald and Goofy
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Just wondering what happened here.  The Disney characters all seem to be WAY more popular.  In Cartoons, comics and media.  Aside from Carl Barks being a genius, is this just an example of the power of marketing at work?  

looneytunesamerriemelodies1.jpg.20abbfcbec495b21ffca0f338afff914.jpg WDCS1.jpg.b844ffd467e8be4eb2288ed81b516d9d.jpg

Paging @sagii - why are the books I collect better than the books you collect? lol

But, seriously, I think generally speaking Disney comics have had better quality stories on average, though not always. There was some Disney drek over the years, and some of the Bugs Bunny Four Colors series books are pretty good, but those are exceptions. When I was collecting funny animal books as a kid, the Disneys were consistently better reading than the Looney Tunes characters, some of which were dismal. And, as you say, Disney had Barks (and Barks reprints by the time I came along).

But I'd argue that when it comes to animated shorts, the WB characters and the cartoons have been more successful - especially in the 1960s and beyond - than Disney cartoon shorts. And for the same reason - the average quality is better. Some of the WB cartoons have become iconic - the coyote and roadrunner, for example 'ACME' anvils, anyone?

On 11/14/2023 at 8:03 PM, Senormac said:

yea, this thread was a dud zzz  

In the 1970s and 1980s the Looney Tunes characters became more popular do to countless reruns in circulation, but Disney characters took back becoming more popular with the Disney Parks, Disney Channel, and now Disney Plus.

Seems like Warner Bros hasn`t done much with the IP. I certainly love these characters.

On 11/15/2023 at 11:51 AM, sagii said:

You could not build a Mt Rushmore of comic book characters without Bugs Bunny ( and Mickey Mouse), a line i love from Comiclink promotions (don't know who the other two would be, but that much is certain). 

(I assume we're talking animation here)... Probably Bullwinkle.  And maybe for historical significance, Betty Boop.

Isn't the Animaniacs Warner Brothers and therefore similarly Looney Tunes?

Probably not specifically but I remember watching that new, and it hit home. Looney Tunes were on reruns, but you "knew you were watching older reruns," if that makes sense, not the same hit at home.

Idk or even know where to watch cartoons, except for Looney Tunes which is ironic, and I mean on reg TV with no cable.

Looney is on metrics svengoolie channel in the morning.

There are Bible cartoons and PBS cartoons. That about sums it up for no cable and or not counting streaming lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/16/2023 at 9:45 AM, Senormac said:

Yes, that's something.  Thanks for the long and thoughtful post. I know my mom never read my comics but would actually laugh at Road Runner cartoons.  Saturday mornings were all about Warner Bros.  The music in those shorts was top notch and probably an introduction to classical music for a lot of kids.  Great cartoon examples you posted Humble Watcher. 

The early Bugs fc's are beautiful. That 164 in your sig lines is sweet sagii. 

fc142bugs.thumb.jpg.46b35c0e099d44c445d35aa0474def92.jpg

Thanks, classic cover imho

Sorry for the long response lol, but felt i had to tackle your post with nuance, balance and context. Cool Thread! 

On 11/16/2023 at 7:18 PM, Jayman said:

A fav of mine…

Dell Four Color # 164.jpg

Yes.  Outstanding book.  I also love the cover where Bugs is going to the moon or some such space adventure.  I never owned it, but at one time I had a very respectable FC collection.  

On 11/14/2023 at 8:03 PM, Senormac said:

yea, this thread was a dud zzz  

Ever since they put a leash on me nobody wants to post here anymore. :D

On 11/16/2023 at 8:43 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Isn't the Animaniacs Warner Brothers and therefore similarly Looney Tunes?

Probably not specifically but I remember watching that new, and it hit home. Looney Tunes were on reruns, but you "knew you were watching older reruns," if that makes sense, not the same hit at home.

Idk or even know where to watch cartoons, except for Looney Tunes which is ironic, and I mean on reg TV with no cable.

Looney is on metrics svengoolie channel in the morning.

There are Bible cartoons and PBS cartoons. That about sums it up for no cable and or not counting streaming lol

I believe Animaniacs is indeed Warner Bros. My kids watched it and had the Nintendo game.  

On 11/17/2023 at 3:55 PM, Senormac said:

Yes.  Outstanding book.  I also love the cover where Bugs is going to the moon or some such space adventure.  I never owned it, but at one time I had a very respectable FC collection.  

Another fav and the first Bugs cover I went for!

Dell Four Color # 88.jpg