• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hakes Auction Results, thoughts?

65 posts in this topic

On 12/13/2023 at 11:45 AM, comix4fun said:

Alphabetical listings have, in my opinion, limited the Neal Adams market on everything but the very top shelf items as people are afraid to blow their budget in the first 15 minutes, not knowing where the Ditko, Kirby, Frazetta, Wood etc etc are going to end. 

Not to mention the many times I (and undoubtedly others) have joined the live auction a few minutes late and missed all the Neal Adams offerings entirely! :ohnoez: 

On 12/11/2023 at 11:03 PM, tth2 said:

Why is this automatically suspicious?  Is it beyond the realm of possibility that someone else also assigned a max valuation very similar to yours?

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's razor

On 12/11/2023 at 11:14 AM, tth2 said:

I'm sure it's a net benefit for consignors.  How is it any different from floor bidding at Heritage?  The point is that they both lure in bidders who put in their best bid, and then when it gets beaten by another bidder, they can bid again (and apparently many do).  In contrast, bidders on Clink only get 1 bite at the apple.

Let's put it this way, would the Clink bidding system have resulted in the crazy price for the Secret Wars page?  I don't think so.  In theory if everyone came into auctions with iron discipline and bid only up to their pre-established max, then perhaps there'd be no difference in results between Heritage's and CC's live bidding and Clink's fixed deadline bidding, but we know that's not how it works in real life.

100%

As a buyer, I love the eBay/ComicLink style hard auction expiration where there's no chance of further price discovery after the timer runs out. 

As a seller, you have to love those platforms which either allow back and forth live bidding until someone drops dead (e.g., Heritage) or those platforms which at least extend the bidding time so people can react to those late bids (e.g., ComicConnect, Hake's). 

On 12/11/2023 at 10:48 AM, comix4fun said:

There's one small auction house that I've bid with and their online portal extends bidding by 10 minutes. The problem is they extend ALL lots by 10 minutes if ANY lot gets a bid. So, 1500 lots of toys, cards, and comics.....lot 1201 gets a bid....all 1500 lots get bumped 10 minutes. 
The last lot I won from them was supposed to end at 7:30pm and didn't actually end until 3:30am. And my original winning bid from 7:30pm was still the winning bid, but anyone could have outbid me on it in the intervening 8 hours. 

I don't know if they still do it this way, but, Robert Edward Auctions used to do this back in the 2000s and 2010s. Former REA owner Rob Lifson had a huge trove of Warren art that he would periodically sell off in his card auctions (they also would get a lot of Mars Attacks! original art - not sure whether that was from Lifson's personal collection or not) and so I was an active bidder back in the day. He ended up selling all the art that didn't get sold in the auctions in one shot to a single collector back in the late 2010s IIRC. 

One day (probably mid-2010s or a little earlier) me and a friend went out to Lifson's house where much of REA was being run out of the basement or lower floor. There was a huge box of art sitting right next to an industrial-strength air conditioning unit - the Vampirella #24 original cover art had been totally warped by the extreme fluctuations in temperature and humidity. :eek: I wonder if the current owner was able to get it restored. :wishluck:  

The intersection of comic and fantasy art with the Mastro/Lifson machine, in the aftermath of Christie's and Sotheby's suddenly exiting handling such material will always be memorable (or infamous?) for those of us that were there, bidding, and winning. The known facts are very much merely the visible tip of the iceberg that lurked below.

The incorporations change names, sometimes new friends (and their hoards or connections to hoards) are brought in but...the essential behaviors, generally narcissistic and sociopathologial persist and appear to have even thrived since remain.

However, my understanding is this is how all of collectibles works, there's nothing special carving out just comic and fantasy art. So surely none of this is news to anybody lurking or posting on this Board 😉😘🥳