• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hakes Auction Results, thoughts?

65 posts in this topic

Hakes gets some interesting pieces.  Here is one I was watching and really wanted but given the final hammer and how much I have spent lately just couldn’t pull the trigger.  It was high on my want list for sure.  I thought it was a strong price.  I thought more $10k on the high side.

Anyone else watch anything or even win something?

IMG_0940.jpeg

Agree, definitely feels like fewer eyes on Hake's overall but then you have some results like this, which seemed higher than expected.  I was watching this as well but then it quickly ballooned past where I thought it was going to go.  

I picked up one of the Usagi pieces - the colored commission one - for what I thought was a good price. 

On 11/16/2023 at 8:14 AM, fonebone6166 said:

Agree, definitely feels like fewer eyes on Hake's overall but then you have some results like this, which seemed higher than expected.  I was watching this as well but then it quickly ballooned past where I thought it was going to go.  

I picked up one of the Usagi pieces - the colored commission one - for what I thought was a good price. 

I also watched some of the gum cards and models. I would say prices on cards were very strong. Models were all over the map. Superman drawn cover model went for just over $1k versus a previous auction where is went for over $2k. Monsters of the Movies went for about what I expected. Monster scene kits went way higher especially for everything I was chasing. The Doctor Deadly’s Daughter went for over $2k. I was hoping to get it for $600 to $700. At least I was able to peacefully sleep knowing I made someone pay that much. 
edit: I was going to mention, a Mars Attack wrapper went for almost $4k which is extremely strong. 

Edited by batman_fan

Lots I were tracking were pretty soft, mostly vintage Star Wars toys. The long header display hammered at 11.5 against an estimate of 20-30k, and I don't think it got a single bid the day of the auction. 

Edited by cstojano

On 11/16/2023 at 10:22 AM, batman_fan said:

I also watched some of the gum cards and models. I would say prices on cards were very strong. Models were all over the map. Superman drawn cover model went for just over $1k versus a previous auction where is went for over $2k. Monsters of the Movies went for about what I expected. Monster scene kits went way higher especially for everything I was chasing. The Doctor Deadly’s Daughter went for over $2k. I was hoping to get it for $600 to $700. At least I was able to peacefully sleep knowing I made someone pay that much. 
edit: I was going to mention, a Mars Attack wrapper went for almost $4k which is extremely strong. 

Oh sorry, I only meant from the OA aspect - but agree that there are some of the other parts of the auction that were seemed to be drawing high prices.  That batman toy box art too was very nice but high I thought.  

On 11/16/2023 at 8:26 AM, cstojano said:

Lots I were tracking were pretty soft, mostly vintage Star Wars toys. The long header display hammered at 11.5 against an estimate of 20-30k, and I don't think it got a single bid the day of the auction. 

You think there is a general softness on the Star Wars stuff?  I don't follow it too much but it seems there have been more auctions lately.

These prices do not include the buyers premium.

This action boy is just the box, comic and accessories, no figure.  I thought maybe $500

IMG_0941.thumb.jpeg.22198ac431cf0888841e5ae1440591ec.jpeg

I had no idea on these but thought the prices seemed strong

IMG_0942.thumb.jpeg.2f8956406c723c7467a745b61f958a9a.jpeg

A couple of Star Wars items I was watching.  Maybe low?

IMG_0943.thumb.jpeg.0880ac1509102c337096b61bc8038c8b.jpeg

Example of some cards, seemed strong

IMG_0944.thumb.jpeg.b714e9940fdeedf1c92e96fda966cdb4.jpeg

Mar Attacks prices.  The full set price made me happy.  This is about what I paid for my set but mine is much higher grade.

IMG_0945.thumb.jpeg.8e0f7c1797c6ee74bf92be990db07973.jpeg

On 11/16/2023 at 9:38 AM, batman_fan said:

You think there is a general softness on the Star Wars stuff?  I don't follow it too much but it seems there have been more auctions lately.

A couple of Star Wars items I was watching.  Maybe low?

IMG_0943.thumb.jpeg.0880ac1509102c337096b61bc8038c8b.jpeg

A couple of outlier Star Wars items were low, but a lot were in line with expectations.

The ones you show are "Q" grades. That means NOT sealed, just open box items but not played with or stickers applied. 
Without the grading you'd have a VERY hard time finding buyers for these at 1/3-1/4 the final cost here. 

Didn't get a chance to check this out fully but was curious about this Bob McLeod MoonKnight page. I don't really know his market 

Finished at just over $1100 with the fee. Like it quite a bit

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/279731/MOON-KNIGHT-35-COMIC-BOOK-PAGE-ORIGINAL-ART-BY-BOB-McLEOD

image.thumb.png.e594bfd8535e78676668de1704a7db46.png

The Bingham Detective cover was very well bought. I sat out of bidding on that lot, otherwise it would have gone much higher. Sure, its rats, but its a full-figured Batman on a memorable cover. And those Bingham inks are exquisite in person. I thought anything under $20k was a good deal. 

The Batwing toy box art was bought by me. Looking forward to putting it with a Batman prop I just got.

On 11/17/2023 at 10:48 AM, delekkerste said:

This was the first Moon Knight issue I ever read (because of the X-Men appearance). :cloud9: 

I had the cover already and was happy to add this page as well, for far below my max bid. I also bought the TMNT HC Vol. 1 with the vintage (1988) Eastman & Laird head sketches. Sold for the minimum bid, half of the low estimate. 

That makes it extra special, congrats! It's a beautiful example. 

On 11/16/2023 at 11:31 AM, BVladimirHarkonnen said:

Didn't get a chance to check this out fully but was curious about this Bob McLeod MoonKnight page. I don't really know his market 

Finished at just over $1100 with the fee. Like it quite a bit

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/279731/MOON-KNIGHT-35-COMIC-BOOK-PAGE-ORIGINAL-ART-BY-BOB-McLEOD

image.thumb.png.e594bfd8535e78676668de1704a7db46.png

a great page. I forgot about this auction.