• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Give a kid a comic !
1 1

24 posts in this topic

On 11/18/2023 at 7:42 PM, D2 said:

I heard good things about Bone. It’s not exactly the pro woman centric book you might be looking for. I also heard good things about Lumberjanes and Gotham Academy was pretty addicting (volume 1)

I’ve always had good luck with giving away Bone stories to kids, especially girls. Unlike most comics, the larger narrative has a beginning, middle, and ending which makes it easier to consume. Some may be intimidated by the large 1300 page tome, but the smaller TPBs divided into 9 chapters could be better if individual comics aren’t enough.

On 11/19/2023 at 5:05 AM, DocGo said:

I’ve always had good luck with giving away Bone stories to kids, especially girls. Unlike most comics, the larger narrative has a beginning, middle, and ending which makes it easier to consume. Some may be intimidated by the large 1300 page tome, but the smaller TPBs divided into 9 chapters could be better if individual comics aren’t enough.

The trades are nice little books. For me, the way to go.

On 11/18/2023 at 6:54 PM, Ken Aldred said:

One of the boardies here mentioned that his kids enjoyed reading Silver Age Legion of Super-Heroes.

I’m a bit out of touch, but to the best of my knowledge they aren’t quite as easily available as are many other SA DC titles, only complete as pricey Archive Editions and with only the earliest issues reprinted as a cheap trade collection.

I’d agree, as some of the first comics I read as a kid before I started buying regularly from the newsstand were several of the Jim Shooter issues from a British reprint album I was given, around 6 years old or so, including the all-time classic Death of Ferro Lad / Sun Eater story.

The Shooter stories in Adventure Comics were the first comics that totally hooked me. 

My plan is to someday liquidate my entire collection (except Legion books) and then spend time in my retirement years re-collecting all of those in higher grades than my readers.

On 11/16/2023 at 9:45 AM, lostboys said:

I work in an office and I keep a short stack of mostly TPBs in my desk.

A co worker brought her 12 year old son in for the day and as I watched him playing games on his mothers phone, I thought:

"Why not see if this kid will read a comic."

So I grabbed (Spider Man - The Birth Of Venom TPB) and asked her if its okay to let her son read the book.

"Sure.", she said, "But hell probably just look at the pictures."

:facepalm:

Putting her surrendering to technology aside, I gave him the book and watched from a distance.

He didnt lift his head for 15-20 minutes before going back to the phone.

Did he just look at the pics?...I m not sure but it was a victory in my eyes either way.

A while later I asked him if he liked Spider man and he told me he had seen all the movies but never read a comic before. 

Of course he was talking about all the recent movies, he had never seen the Toby Maguire movies.

He asked if he could take the book home and I told him its his now, he can keep it and Id be giving his mom more in the future to take home to him.

Man, did he smile at that.

Im on a mission now. I dont own a lot of low grade books.

Im a very specific collector (ASM, X-Men, Spawn) and I only collect high grade copies.

I do frequent a local flea market where a guy has boxes of unbagged, low grade books he sells 3 for $1.

My plan is to buy a long box of readers this weekend and Ill give them away every chance I get.

So... if possible, give a kid a comic.

:banana:

You may have created an addiction that will suck up all of his discretionary income for the rest of his life! Good on ya, mate! Those of us who will be aging out of the hobby in the coming decades may be hard pressed to find younger collectors to whom we can sell our books. Like the old woman said when she peed in the sea, every little bit helps.

Edited by jimbo_7071