• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any KISS fans..

46 posts in this topic

Navarro is cool... he's got the chops of a studio musician.

Sheehan's stuff before Mr. Big. I think he lost cred with Big. (My opinion... don't bite my head off)

Flea most definately has the funk. I saw him on BET one night with a special to Stevie Wonder. He played with the horns of Earth, Wind, & Fire with Funkadelic/Parlament (Bootsy Collins). He was asked to play by Stevie himself (fan of the Peppers).

Also just flat out fun is Primus (Bassline wise) and Lemmy (Motorhead).

One thing, going back to KISS for a sec, Simmons and Stanley actually has to calm down Ace when he tried out for the band... Frehley came in playing Jeff Beck style. S & S told him he was too professionally sound. Can you beat that? Actually telling a guitar player, he plays too well to be in the band. Now that's a chuckle.

You gents ever heard of HSAS (sammy Hagar, neal Schon, kenny Aaronson, michael Shrieve) Through The Fire? Stuff is pretty good for 9 days at Westwood One. All Live! Check it out if you don't have it. headbang.gif

There are other guitar masters that have been mentioned in this thread, but Eddie was the one that had not only the ability, but the sound, the innovation, the style and the songs that set him apart. He was the whole package that has never been improved on or outdone. Overall, I'd say that EVH is the best rock musician ever, and that is not just counting guitar players (OK, now I can see Neil Peart fans blasting me tongue.gif).

I would hold up Ritchie Blackmore and Steve Howe as rock musicians who were as technically talented. Blackmore's innovative qualities are underrated, as in my opinion he was the guy who really introduced classical scales into rock guitar.

For bass, Geddy Lee (RUSH), Michael Anthony (Van Halen), Rudy Sarzo (I hope I spelled that right) (Quiet Riot/Whitesnake), and Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)

Now you are talkin' MY language. Well, you are batting at 50% on this one. Guess which two of these four really are virtuosos on the bass and which two just do their jobs (although very competantly).

27_laughing.gif Sid, I knew you were going to have to say something to preserve your credibility amongst your fellow bassists! If you give Eddie the title of greatest rock musician ever, then I have to give Michael Anthony the title of luckiest rock musician ever. No talent (except for surprisingly decent back-up vocals) at all, my 5-year old could probably play his bass lines. Talk about being at the right place at the right time. foreheadslap.gif

Steve Howe - YES/ASIA... (King Crimson?) I heard he did a brief stint with Crimson? True? confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't recall anything about King Crimson, but I have to admit I haven't followed Howe since Asia. I remember he did some guitar superband called GTR for a while, with Steve Hackett.

If you want to talk about innovative guitarists, Robert Fripp was right up there.