• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why did this forum get relocated?
4 4

71 posts in this topic

On 11/26/2023 at 5:04 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Is this an example of moderators taking a heavy handed, policy inconsistent action, that affects everyone, and which is not rooted in moderation, to moderate individuals, rather than using moderation tools to moderate them?

Nope.

@piper

The entire thing started when I posted a movie thread unrelated to comics, and my known antagonists (ie stalkers) started appearing in it. 

Shortly after that, my thread was moved to the Watercooler. The thread was probably moved to the WC on the urging of some of my antagonists, who know I can't go to the Watercooler (I've been banned from it).

Then, right after my thread was moved, Mike put a sticky note at the top of the Movies forum to explain that no more "non-comic" movies are allowed and made it mandatory to get Moderation approval before starting a thread. 

Pretty heavy handed, but that always seems to happen when I'm around. lol

Yet, right after that, I personally counted at least 12 different non-comic movie threads so I asked why they were allowed and only mine was removed. 

This prompted a public discussion about what to do - stop allowing non-comic movie threads and keep it in the Comics forum, or allow all movie threads and move the sub-forum to "General Discussion". 

There was a discussion and a vote and most people agreed it was best to allow all movie discussions and move it to this new General Discussion forum. 

Very much appropriate, fair and consistent with moderation's policies. 

On 11/26/2023 at 11:53 AM, aardvark88 said:
On 11/26/2023 at 11:03 AM, alexgross.com said:

so, now i can ask, hows that 'marvels' movie doing? xD

Don't waste 2.5 hours of your time with 'Marvels' movie. For good Brie well written/directed by BJ Novak, try season 1 of 'Lessons in Chemistry.' 8 episodes streamed so far with each episode getting better. Still has some female empowerment so u will feel it may be tangentially MCU.

Unfortunately the Marvels movie had some great discussion in it before it was locked when it was derailed. 

On 12/3/2023 at 7:21 PM, VintageComics said:

Unfortunately the Marvels movie had some great discussion in it before it was locked when it was derailed. 

Roy, I have no animosity towards you for anything. But are you kidding?

Your chatter derailed the entire thread. Including the comments "I thanked Mike for letting us have this great conversation" and the constant references to ESG as the root cause for all of Disney's issues (you are really only focusing on the 'S' with that reference, and a small portion of its intent).

Just recognize you contributed to the lock. No reason to pretend otherwise.

Whatever the reasons for doing so, moving the movie discussions to a forum that cannot be viewed if you are logged out / not a member is unlikely to help the forum grow. 

On 12/4/2023 at 3:19 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Whatever the reasons for doing so, moving the movie discussions to a forum that cannot be viewed if you are logged out / not a member is unlikely to help the forum grow. 

Agreed. And unfortunately it was more than Roy's one thread that instigated the entire event. That would be too self-centered a catalyst for such a move.

Like someone posted earlier, they felt the non-comic book content made a mockery of being within earshot of Comics General. Which comes across excessive. But there must have been those with such a mindset complaining to moderation.

Now the move drastically slowed down traffic to this area.

On 12/4/2023 at 4:59 AM, Bosco685 said:

Movies dictated the vintage comics market for just about the entire history of the Boards. It was a smart move hanging this subforum next to CG. Now that the movies blow, dumping this lot down at the bottom, in the dregs, away from the reach of search spiders, is a shrewd move.

Edited by TupennyConan

On 12/4/2023 at 3:19 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

It's now below the WC, a ghastly fate for a once scintillating subforum.  

On 12/4/2023 at 9:59 AM, Bosco685 said:

Agreed. And unfortunately it was more than Roy's one thread that instigated the entire event. That would be too self-centered a catalyst for such a move.

Like someone posted earlier, they felt the non-comic book content made a mockery of being within earshot of Comics General. Which comes across excessive. But there must have been those with such a mindset complaining to moderation.

The movie forum existed for many years in its visible CG location. Movies straddle comic and non-comic related subjects. They are ideally placed together, in one forum, so there will be a conundrum as to where they should go - in the comic area, or the non-comic area. To my eyes, the overwhelming volume of threads and activity related to comic-focussed movies. So the obvious choice, accepting that having separate movie forums isn't ideal - is to leave them in CG where they will get the most traffic. In the same way that CGC Mike allowed the Cornfield to go against the 'comic only' CG principle, I think he should have let this one too.

Bosco, your threads have generated millions of views on this forum. You put the work in, day in, day out, to maintain a strong movie presence on the boards which attracts visitors, eyes and discussions, and which in turn generates revenue for CGC. Have you ever been thanked? If those discussions overheat, there are tools in the moderation box to manage them just as there are for threads and posts in any forum.

I spend a lot of my time trying to help this forum grow and those in charge of it seem to do the opposite. They don't seem to understand how this forum works, and how people are. Whether it makes sense or not doesn't matter but it is clearly understood that many people won't go near the WC on principle. And now, potential new members will not see an area for movie discussions, should they happen across the forum looking for somewhere to have a chat about the latest Marvel film.

For me, this is a galactically obvious mistake and an entirely foreseeable one. I'm not in the least bit surprised that traffic is now significantly down. Added to all the other mistakes that are being made by CGC, we won't have a forum for much longer if this pattern of expedient thinking - or not thinking - keeps up. 

On 12/4/2023 at 11:01 AM, TupennyConan said:

It's now below the WC, a ghastly fate for a once scintillating subforum.  

Indeed.

I like the new avatar / profile page combo Bill.

Capture.PNG.8cee399803bbb74bc3a96c4d64491832.PNG

Very fetching :bigsmile:

On 12/4/2023 at 6:35 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Indeed.

I like the new avatar / profile page combo Bill.

Capture.PNG.8cee399803bbb74bc3a96c4d64491832.PNG

Very fetching :bigsmile:

Endora & the Sea Hag! :banana:

On 12/4/2023 at 6:20 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Bosco, your threads have generated millions of views on this forum. You put the work in, day in, day out, to maintain a strong movie presence on the boards which attracts visitors, eyes and discussions, and which in turn generates revenue for CGC. Have you ever been thanked? If those discussions overheat, there are tools in the moderation box to manage them just as there are for threads and posts in any forum.

Thanks for the kind words. It's a fun focus, even with the random heated debates from time to time.

:cheers:

As far as thanks, a few years back someone recommended me for the annual forumite award (which I received). But nothing directly from CGC other than warnings. That's recognition - right? Right?

:shiftyeyes:

On 12/4/2023 at 1:11 PM, CGC Mike said:

I have moved this sub forum back.  Lets keep ALL topics comic related.

If I may Mike, what is your objection to movies that are not comic related being discussed in Comics General, alongside the now moved comic related ones?

Capture.thumb.PNG.48f7d261516497cc07251fb29865d436.PNG

On 12/4/2023 at 2:24 PM, CGC Mike said:

Any non comic related threads that existed before the move have "grandfathered" in and will stay there. 

Are you saying that new ones are not allowed? If so, why? What is the principle that underpins your decision?

• Administrator
On 12/4/2023 at 9:26 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Are you saying that new ones are not allowed? If so, why? What is the principle that underpins your decision?

That is correct.  The principle is the forum is in the comics section.  People wanted to discuss both in 1 forum.  So, I moved it to the general discussion.  Then, people complained that it was too far down to scroll and not as many people were posting in it.  So, I have moved it back.  

On 12/4/2023 at 2:33 PM, CGC Mike said:

That is correct.  The principle is the forum is in the comics section.  People wanted to discuss both in 1 forum.  So, I moved it to the general discussion.  Then, people complained that it was too far down to scroll and not as many people were posting in it.  So, I have moved it back.  

By creating the Cornfield thread, you made an exception and overrode the principle that only comic related threads are allowed in the Comics forum. Would you make a second exception, and allow movies of all kinds to be discussed in the one location please, that location being the visible Comics forum?