• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Final Grading CGC?

14 posts in this topic

Front Cover - 65 percent

Back Cover - 32 percent

Pages - 3 percent

I haven't seen anything that makes me really feel like the page quality comes into very much play regarding a grade.

Brian

I'm under the opinion that very little comes into play as far as the back cover goes. Probably closer to 15%, if that. Anyone remember some of those awful back covers a couple months ago (on Heritage I think) that were graded like 9.0 or something?

It may be more of an exponential dropoff for page quality below cream...hard to say until we've seen more grading examples. The highest grades I've seen so far for the various page whitenesses are:

• Off-white to white - 10.0
  • off-white - 9.9
  • cream to off-white - 9.8
  • cream - 9.4
  • tan to off-white - 9.0
  • slightly brittle - 6.5

I'm sure there are other examples for the tan, cream, and slightly brittle page qualities with higher grades...I don't look at many Golden Age books, which are the most likely candidates for those PQ levels.

My experience has been that a lot is given to page quality, and I think that is a good way to grade. A couple of examples below where the books are structurally flawless (no dings, creases or significant spine wear), but stored in less than ideal conditions (i.e. a cardboard box for 20 years, etc.). I've bought some books, however, that look the same in terms of page quality & received VF/NM to NM. A tough issue to tackle. Page quality 20%, cover 50%, back cover & other 20%.

Joe, good point. My understanding is that cover gloss, brightness & other factors weigh in as well. I've submitted a range of different books with variations in page quality from front to back, with the exterior pages being cream and the interior being in the OW-W realm. One thing I've really noticed is that there is a disparity between the books I buy & those I've submitted in this realm.